*O.W.Ls*

May 30th, 1976

Rory had her last O.W.Ls today. She had been preparing them since February and she was certain she would do a good job on them. She had help from Dumbledore on what to expect. The past couple of months, she had hung out with everyone, except Evan. She was spending less time alone together and when they were in potions together, he would look really stressed, tired and moody. She figured it was because of O.W.Ls but whenever she saw him in the corridors, he was around Emma. Clearly, he was trying to make an effort for her, but she was treating him as her slave. Rory asked him so many times if he was ok but every time he would answer "It's none of your buissness." Like it wasn't her business. He was her best friend and she had the right to feel concerned for him. He would give her a cold shoulder when she asked about his day and made up some excuse when she wanted to hang out. Rory was fed up with him so she distracted herself with O.W.Ls, but her mind couldn't stop wandering to Evan. She had a feeling that the exams weren't the main reason he was like that, she figured in March that Emma was behind his rigid attitude. But Evan and Rory weren't talking at the time so she couldn't raise her concern without him being angry at her. In April, during her prefect patrols, she found Evan in a broom cupboard with Emma and was torn. She had no right to be jealous but she was mad. She took away 20 house points from each of them and stormed off. After that, Rory had avoided Evan at all costs. She was glad Slughorn had finally changed seating arrangements, so she was now sitting beside Jeremy Wood, who wasn't that bad of a partner. Some Slytherins were picking on her more and more, which had no effect on her, but she broke down when Evan ignored the situation. Like it was normal. Her other friends were noticing the distant behaviour front the girl but all shrugged it off as stress from O.W.Ls. Her parent's death anniversary was coming up so her mood was on edge. 

Every day, Rory was anxious that Evan would spill her secrets. She tried to observe Evan and Emma see if they were talking about her, but seeing them together made Rory sick. The teachers were noticing the lack of enthusiasm from the witch and were concerned. They also noticed the coldness between her and Evan which they caught on from the Potions Master. Rory usually was found in the library surrounded by books, and the only time she would stop studying was when Groot was pulling her hair. She was thankful for him watching over her. He was also a great help during patrols to get into small spaces and see if anyone is in a room without having to go into it. Rory was excited for exams to be over but at the same time, she wasn't. Usually, she had her books to distract her from Evan but if exams were done, she wouldn't have an excuse. Her last exam was DADA which she answered with ease. She and Lily sat by the Black Lake discussing the exam. Rory had no idea where Severus was, but she hoped he didn't run into trouble. Their conversation was cut short when a crowd was forming and a black-haired boy seemed to be choking on bubbles.

 Rory's heart was beating like a stampede. They ran towards the crowd and Lily shouted. "Leave him ALONE!" That caught James and Sirius's attention. James's hand jumped right to his hair, which made Rory roll her eyes. "All right Evans?" James was back to being his arrogant self.  "Leave him alone, what's he done to you?" James put a smirk on "well, it's more the fact that he exists if you know what I mean..." people from the crowd laughed, but Rory noticed Remus was reading his book. "You think you're funny Potter, but you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag. Leave him alone!" "I will if you go out with me Evans, Go on, go out with me and I will never lay a hand on him ever again." "I wouldn't go out with you if I had the choice between you and a giant squid" Rory almost snorted but covered it with a cough. Severus had gotten his wand and shot a spell at Potter. He had blood coming out from his cheeks. James pointed his wand a sev and hung him upside down. "LEAVE HIM ALONE" cried Lily. "Certaintly" He dropped him to the ground and put a full body bind curse on him, making sev flop like a wooden board. Lily had her wand out which James and Sirius eyed warily. "Ah, Evans, don't make me hex you" "Then take the curse off him." James sighed and muttered the countercurse. " You lucky Evans was here Snivellus..." "I don't need help from filthy little mudbloods like her." Rory's breath hitched, but she instantly saw regret in his eyes. Lily blinked and said cooly, " Fine, I won't bother in the future and i'd wash your pants if I were you snivellus." 

"Apologise to Evans!" James roared. "I don't want you to make him apologise, you're just as bad as he is." James tried to defend himself but Lily was faster. "Messing up your hair because you think it looks cool to make it look like you've just gotten off your broomstick, showing off that stupid snitch, walking down the corridors hexing anyone who annoys you just because you can- I'm surprised that you broomstick can get off the ground with that fat head on it. You make me SICK." Then she turned and ran. James called for her but she didn't look back. He looked hurt but he turned and sent a spell at Sev. Only Rory was faster. She disarmed him, turned to sev and sent a spell to make him quiet. "You idiot Potter." She seethed which nearly everyone was surprised at. " You were so close to getting her to say yes and then you just forget all I said and mess it up. You'd be lucky she'd ever say yes to you in the future with what you did. You hurt her best friend and yes he may have said something," she turned and looked at Severus before looking back at James "But you had no right to do so. You know nothing about lily, Potter. Only that she's smart and pretty and that you want her to be your girlfriend. I swear Potter if you don't stop hexing Sev and makeup to Lily, I will hex your arse off!" Rory was yelling at him and sending him a deathly glare. If looks could kill, then, well James was worse than dead. 

"You're sticking up for that snake? After what he said." "YOU SHUT it, POTTER! That snake was the first friend I made. HE was the one who helped me get to know the wizarding world. He heped me AND Lily through tough times. Potter you know nothing so stop assuming things before you understand." With that, she muttered the counter curse off of Severus, grabbed him by the ear and followed Lily. When they were far enough she let go of his ear and glared at him. "You know what you did right?" His eyes were filled with regret. "I know and I'm sorry i just-" " Dont apologise to me, apologise to lily. I understand that it slipped from your mouth and you regretted it immediatley. Just Lily doesnt understand that." He looked troubled and tears were on the brim of his eyes.

 "Severus Tobias Snape, I swear on my whole life, if you think that you are your father I will murder you. You are nothing like him. Look we've all been on edge today and everyone make mistakes." Severus had never seen Rory so angry so he knew not to say anything. "Alright, I'll try, but what if she doesn't forgive me?" "She will, it might take time, but she'll come around." She grabbed his arm again and led him to where she thought lily would be. "Rory? I basically called you the M word aswell. Why aren't you mad." She looked into his eyes, "Because I'm not muggleborn."