*Christmas*

December 21st, 1975

Students were preparing to leave the castle and go home for Christmas. Nearly everyone in Hufflepuff was returning, including Rory. She would be going home with Severus and Lily. Every year, they would go to Lily's house to celebrate Christmas. Mr. and Mrs. Evans were like second parents to Rory and Severus. Rory had a maximum of one hour to pack, 30 minutes to deliver her presents to teachers and some students, then she would have to leave for the train. Rory being Rory, packed the day before so she didn't have much to do. She grabbed her presents off of her bed and dashed out of the common room. Her first stop was to the kitchens where she would find Regulus, Athena and some house-elves. She got Reg some books about potions, Athena a jumper, and the house-elves some sweets from honey dukes. Then she stopped by all of her teacher's offices. Most of them were books, quills, etc. When she got to the great hall, she gave Remus a year's supply of her potion and a new toque for Amelia.

She boarded the train with her friends and the ride home was peaceful. As the train slowed down, she made her way to the exit to get off. She was engulfed in a hug by them which she was grateful for. The ride back consisted of chatting about their year. Rory was dropped off at her house which wasn't far from Lily, to unpack. She entered her home and was greeted by the smell of her grandma's baking. "Oh, Rory dear! Home already? How was school? I hope there is no one harassing you like that- what's his name? Yolky?" Rory laughed a bit at her grandma's memory. "Hello grandma, and no, nothing bad has happened." Her grandma's interest in her was diminished. "Alright. I suppose you're staying with that Evan's girl for most of the break? I don't want you near the house too much because I'm having guests." Rory rolled her eyes at her as she walked up the stairs two at a time, ready to get away from her. 

She entered the small room, dropped everything to the floor and crashed onto her bed. She was happy to be home, but she couldn't help yearn for Hogwarts. Her room was painted purple with photos of herself, family and friends. She observed each of the photos before landing on a family photo. It was with her parents, baby brother, her grandmother, and herself. They were all dead leaving Rory to survive on her own. Tears were threatening to spill but she held them in. She unpacked her trunk and redecorated her room. She found a photo of her and Evan at the Christmas party, laughing at the camera. she put it in a frame before looking to find a snowglobe. She still had to send Evan her gift. She inserted an extra copy of the photo into the globe. She would have given Evan his gift at Hogwarts but she didn't have a snowglobe there and she wanted to gift him something muggle sorts. She attached a letter to the gift before attaching it to the leg of her owl. "I need you to send this to Evan Rosier, but be careful. I don't know what his parents are like so try and give it to him from his bedroom window if he has one." The owl nodded proudly before setting off from her window to deliver the parcel. 

****

Christmas morning was snowing, but it looked magical. Rory ran downstairs to find her Grandma ready to leave. "Ah just in time, I'll be at Yvvone's house if you need me." And with that, she left through the front door. Rory couldn't care less, she got her boots and jacket on, grabbed her gifts, and ran out the door across the street where Lily and Severus were. When the door swung open she was met by a cheery warm home, very unlike her own. "Merry Christmas lily! Merry Christmas Sev!" She was led to the living room where other people were. "merry Christmas Mr. and Mrs. Evans, you to Petunia" She received happy smiles from the adults but a scary scowl from Petunia. Nevertheless, she hugged all of them before sitting down next to the fire, ready to open up presents. She found a small pile under the tree which she took. She found a Thank you card from Remus along with chocolate sent from both Lupins, a bag to carry her books from Regulus, a cute knitted scarf from Amelia, a charm to add to her bracelet from Lily, a potions book from Severus, fudge from the Evans, Money from her grandma, and surprisingly a peppermint from Petunia. She found one last parcel labelled for her but from whom was not known.

She carefully opened the well-wrapped package and read the letter.

Dear Rory

Merry Christmas! I hope this got to you in time, I got your gift and I thank you very much. I was actually quite surprised that you owl could find my house, let alone my room. I would like to say that I miss you too, but then it would end up being sappy so...

Anyway I hope you enjoy your holidays

From Evan

She set the letter down and opened the box. She should have prepared herself as pink powder sprang at her, covering her face and hair. The room burst into laughter and Rory was in shock. Mrs. Evans brought her a cloth to use, she picked up the letter and on the back, in very small letters was,

P.S, Thought I would let you re-live the pink hair incident. 😆 Please don't kill me when we get back to Hogwarts.

Rory was already coming up with thousands of ways to chop his head off but she noticed something in the box. She noticed a green living thing move inside it. She stretched out her finger to let the creature climb on. It was a bowtruckle. All her anger immediately faded as she cooed at the baby creature. Gaining a bowtruckles trust was immensely hard, but the one in her hand seemed to be content with its owner. She found another letter at the bottom of the box which she read

I found the bowtruckle by the gate in front of the Rosier Manor. It was abandoned so I took it in. I remembered you saying how you thought they were cute so I decided to give them to you. I couldn't leave it lying around so there you go. 

"Awww aren't you a little cutie!" Lily smiled at her "What are you going to name him?" Rory thought for a minute, she had the perfect name. "Groot"  'Groot' looked happy at his name and rested on Rory's shoulder. This was by far the best Christmas.