- Part 2

Luckily, me and Yukina made it to the station just in time to board on the train. Once we took our seats, she immediately started to scald me for my actions.

"What were you thinking?! Why did you surrender to them?! What happened to becoming leader, Yuu? Why did you do that? I don't understand!"

To my surprise, Yukina was extremely upset over my decision to give control of the class back to Matsushita and dissolve the Takanori group. I guess it made sense, since she was supporting me from the very beginning and was the person closest to me this entire time. She was just as invested in this as I was.

"Don't worry. I'm not giving up on taking the spot of leader from Matsushita-san."

"You're... you're not? Then... what was the point of surrendering? You're just giving him the advantage by doing that!"

Yukina was now confused by why I did that if I had no intention of abandoning my original goal.

"That's just what it looks like on the surface. In reality, I have the upper hand now."

"You... do?"

I looked around the train. Not many people were on board, but I lowered my voice just in case.

"Let me explain. Are you familiar with theatrics?"

"Yes. It's acting, isn't it? Though, I was never good at drama or anything like that..."

As if understanding this shouldn't be talked about in public, Yukina also hushed her voice.

"Well, that's basically what I did in the classroom."

"Eh? You put on an act?"

"That's right. I'm merely pretending to give Matsushita-san control over the class once more."

"Wait, I don't understand... how could you falsely do that? Not only did an outsider of the class, Natsumi-san, watch you surrender, but Matsushita-san's influence is much greater than yours... everyone will believe him when he says everything's returned to normal."

"That's what I want. I want everyone to believe we've gone back to how things are. It's why I purposefully made that announcement while Ichinose-san was there. Not only would it make my surrender look more legitimate, since an outsider of our class is there as witness, but it would help validate my actions for Matsushita-san, who might've called me out on my bluff due to his deep rooted mistrust in me."

"But why? What advantage does that even offer you? Isn't it better to continue piling pressure onto Matsushita-san and earning trust from our classmates through merit?"

"Originally, that sort of direct attack is what I wanted to do to become leader, but after this first failure of mine, I can now see the holes that have opened up in that plan. That's why I came to the conclusion it was a waste of time. I'd be better off cutting my losses here and changing strategy before it's too late."

Yukina huffed, dissatisfied by my reasoning.

"It's not! By admitting you completely lost after the first time you fail, you're essentially admitting to everyone that you're weak and would rather give up than continue. Sometimes being stubborn is a good thing, you know? By showing your resilience, you'll be showing everyone that you won't give up easily. And if they believe you'll find a way forward, they'll be more willing to put their faith in you. People don't like weak willed leaders, so if you do ever become leader in the future, everyone won't take you as seriously because of this surrender you did against Matsushita-san over one mistake. They'll see your legitimacy as leader a joke!"