- Part 8

Once the training session was finished, it was about 4:30pm. Everyone went their separate ways home for the day. I stayed behind to clean up the classroom since our group was the last to use it.

"That should do it."

I patted my hands satisfactorily and picked up my bag from my table. Since Mitsuba was involved in our group now, he took his expensive collection of cards home with him. It was now his responsibility to bring the cards to school so we could play-test.

I still needed to procure a way to make him change his mind about running max rarity cards. Thanks to Momiji-sensei, I had a faint idea of what I could do to convince him.

"Shall we go?"

I turned to Yukina, who was the only other person left inside the classroom. She stayed behind to help me clean up.

"Yep!"

Together, we headed towards the station to take the train home. The hot sun was still shining brightly in the sky, so we took a path under the shade to keep cool. Two shadows followed us silently.

"Nee, Yuu..."

"Hm?"

Yukina was the first to break the silence between us as we walked.

"Um... well... ah, how should I put this?"

She made a puzzled face, stroking her chin as she tried to form the thoughts in her head into words. Yukina then nodded resolvedly, turning to face me directly.

We stood across one another under a large oak tree. The sunlight filtered down through the lush green leaves, trickling onto us like a spotlight.

"Yuu, have you noticed anything different about me today?"

That certainly wasn't the question I was expecting from Yukina. Should I play dumb? Or should I be truthful?

Regardless, it seemed like Yukina had been struggling to ask this question for awhile, so it must've been important to her. I didn't want to hurt her feelings by giving an insensitive answer.

I looked at Yukina up and down, thinking about it. Her small fist was clenched tightly in front of her large chest as she waited in anticipation.

"Actually... come to think about it."

When I thought about if Yukina seemed different, one thing did come to mind. It was earlier this morning, when we were at the train station konbini.

In that moment, when Yukina was wrapped around my arm, she looked incredibly cute.

"You seem a bit more bold."

"R-really?"

It seems this wasn't the answer Yukina was looking for, as her lips deflated into a small frown.

"In a good way, of course. You've been a great help today."

I patted her shoulder, trying to encourage her. Yukina shook her head. She pointed to her face.

"Then... have you noticed anything different here?"

I examined her face closely. At first, I didn't notice it, but on closer inspection, I did notice there was a difference: Yukina looked more beautiful today than she did yesterday.

However, admitting that would be too embarrassing, so I rephrased it in a way that would be more acceptable if said aloud.

"Your face looks better."

Yukina's ahoge drooped at my robotic and stiff answer. She puffed her rosy cheeks, seeming to get frustrated.

"What's that even supposed to mean?!"