Chapter 21

It felt like it was the first day of school all over again. There were people hugging, fist-bumping, and yelling everywhere you look. And of vourse there was the complaining about not wanting to be back at school.

  I searched the halls for Addie and Katie, but not seeing them anywhere in the massive crowd. Ugh, this could take a while. And I don't have that long until the first bell.

  "Eliza!" The screech came from behind me. I twirled around on my heel, and saw Addie pushing people out of her way so that she could make her way to me. Katie followed close behind.

  Finally, they both reached me. "So how was it?" Addie squealed.

  "It was okay." I sighed, it was a long story, but I would just have to summarize. "To summarize, Ben and I got into a fight, then we broke up, and then he saw me with his older brother Shane."

  They gasped.

  "So you mean that..." Katie didn't finish, but she didn't need to.

  I nodded my head. "Yep. But whatever. I think that it may be good for me to focus on myself for a little while."

  "Yeah, probably." Addie still looked disappointed though.

 "So how were your breaks?" I asked the both of them.

  "Great! We stayed at each other's houses the entire break." Addie answere for the both of them.

  "Really?" I raised my eyebrows. I was impressed. They had beat our record of one week and four days.

  "Yeah, but it would have been better if you were there too Eliza!" Katie exclaimed.

  Ring ring ring! The first bell rang.

  "Ugh! I'll see you at lunch. Love ya!" I scurried off with the rest of my school's population.

  The lunch line seemed to move backwards instead of forwards as I waited.

  I was next in line to grab my tray. Finally! I was just reaching for it, when someone's words interrupted my movement.

  "Hey babe, mind if we cut in front of you?" A big, muscular jock questioned.

  "First of all, I'm not your property, so back off. And second, that wouldn't be fair to everyone else."

  I was surprised. I hadn't been expecting that. Before, I probably would have let them all cut, without giving it a second thought. But I had become stronger as a person.

  "Feisty, I like it."He tried moving closer to me.

  "You are such a cliche. Now get your ass away from me, before I have to make you sorry for ever speaking to me."

  Almost the entire cafeteria was staring at the scene we were making. Oh well, it's not like I could ruin my reputation or something. I've never really hqad one.

  "Wait a minute, you're that girl from football try-outs!"

  At first I was confused, then I remembered my plan that I had made to try to get Ben to notice me.

  "Yeah, so?"

  "Listen, I'm sorry about that. We'll just go to the end of the line."

  I nodded my head once, then proceded with getting my lunch.

  When I sat down at Katie, Addie, and my usual table, they were gaping at me.

  "What?"

  "What? What was that back there!" Addie exclaimed.

  I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. A bunch of jocks thinking that they could take advantage of everyone else."

  "Yeah, but look at you! Standing up to them, fighting for the people!" Even Katie was joining in. "Talk about girl power."

  Smiling, I responded, "Yeah, but let's talk about what you guys did over break."

  They both went into detail, and I laughed at some of the crazy stuff they told me. But throughout the entire lunch period, I thought that  I could feel one pair of eyes on me the entire time. And that pair of eyes seemed to be sitting at the popular table. Someone who always had people trying to get his attention.

 At the end of the day, I went straight home. I figured that it would be good if I could just get all of my homework out of the way as soon as I could.

  Nothing interesting happened the rest of the afternon. I did my homework, ate, and watched a movie. After the movie, I wasn't tired enough to fall asleep. So I stayed up reading Twilight.

  In my dreams, I was born the sister to Justin and Michael, and Ben was born to my parents. Everything was different. There was no mystery, no complications, and everything was perfect.

  When I woke up, I shook the mere thought of it out of my head.

  No! I scolded myself. Thoughts of Ben are forbidden.

  Hmm, maybe that should be my new philosophy.