Chapter 11

I remembered the last time that I sat in these bleachers. Everything had changed since then. Back then, I had an enormous crush on Ben. But now, now I think that I may love him. Actual love

  I looked up immediately when I heard the crowd roar with enthusiasm. I stood up, to be able to actually see what had caused this burst of commotion. 

  Ben was past the line that marked where you had to be to make a touchdown. He was facing the audience, almost as if he were looking for someone. Then, he seemed to find who he was looking for. And he pointed at her. It was me. 

  I rolled my eyes at the cliche. I was surprised that Ben would do something like that. But I played along, and smiled angelically back at him, then blew him a kiss. The crowd around me began to hoot and holler. But then the game went on. 

  I couldn't pay too much attention. I was distracted. Thoughts of the dream hadn't left my mind all week. There had to be more to it than it just being a dream. But I didn't voice my thoughts, not wanting to know how Ben would react to them. 

  Ben had gone stayed at his own house since Tuesday night, and I had stayed at mine. I missed sleeping with his arms wrapped around me, but I knew what my parents would think, and then do, if he kept staying at our house or if II kept staying at his. 

  But the brightside was that his parents had invited me to come along with them to their home in California with them next weekend. I was ecstatic. So of course I accepted. It was only later that I found out that all of his immediate family would be going. Including his grandparents. But Ben reassured me that everything would be fine. I believed him.

  I tried to concentrate back on the game, but it proved difficult for me considering I had not the slightest knowledge of the game. Realizing that it was a pathetic attempt after a few minutes, I dug into my tote bag until I found what I was looking for. As soon as I did, I popped the earbuds in my ears and chose shuffle on my ipod. 

  I turned the volume up, so that it would overpower the screaming chaos of the crowds, without necessarily causing me to go deaf. Occasionally I would look up at the scoreboard, and smile pleasantly since we always seemed to be in the lead. But other than that, I looked far away, away from the bleachers and into the green field behind them, and daydreamed. 

  It was the typical stuff you would imagine a girl like me to daydream about. I dreamed about Ben and I getting married as soon as we graduated from college. Of us buying a little yellow house with white trim, with a big, old oak tree in the front yard. Then of a couple years later, there was a swing added to the tree. And I stood in the front yard, there was a little girl on my left, a little boy on my right, and I was supporting a baby up on my hip. We were waving Ben, who was in a business suit, good-bye as he got into the car. It was picture perfect. 

  I continued to dream, and the visions of us progressed until we were grandparents. But I was yanked out of my dreams when my hand, which was splayed out on the bleacher beside where I sat, was stepped on. 

  "Oh! I am so sorry." A girl who looked to be a freshmen said as I lowered the volume of my ipod with my good hand. I looked around me, noticing that my surroundings had changed since the last time I looked up. Now, there was next to nobody left in the bleachers. 

  I looked up at the girl who was staring at me, obviously expecting an acceptance of her apology from me. 

  "It's okay." I mumbled. I gave my hand a once-over. It was only red. 

  The girl with nodded her head. I looked at her again, like looked at her. And noticed that she had an unrealistic beauty about her. She had blonde hair, green eyes, and was skinny. But there was something about her that made her different from everybody else. I had no clue what it was, but it was definitely noticeable.