Chapter 44: Steal the Flag

Capture the flag...

A very simple name for a very simple game with a more than clear and quite obvious goal. There were 90 first-year trainees present in total. So 2 teams of 45 people would have to get prepared, head over to their respective zones, and then face each other off on a race to see who gets to steal the opponent team's flag first. That's all there was too it: a simple and fun competition among friends.

Everyone found themselves happy and fired up at the fact that the activity ended up being something so cool and fun. So there really was nothing that could go wrong at all in this first part of the trip.

Or at least...

...

...

...

...that's what Ravi and the rest of the trainees thought at first.

In any case, right after Cayde finished explaining the rules of the activity and where it was gonna be held, the 2 teams of 45 members where formed in a very random way. Then, just before both teams headed over to their respective areas inside the jungle, Cayde actually created one last rule... One that according to him, would make the experience a lot more fun and realistic.

"Oh! By the way!" the exo began. "In addition to all that I have said, you'll have to wear your guardian suits if possible! AND... you'll also be allowed to use your powers! Isn't that cool?!"

"Wait... What?!" Shaxx asked in surprise. "We never agreed to that!"

"Oh, come on! What could go wrong? As long as they hold back, everything should be fine!"

Lord Shaxx kept on arguing with Cayde a while longer, but it was already too late to change the rules.

Every single trainee changed into his/her guardian suit (helmet and hood included), and then headed over to their respective zone, accompanied by either the tutor or co-tutor, and a group of supervisors. Then, they were all given a special, either red or blue, armband they had to wear in order to be identified as member of either the red team or the blue team.

And then, after all that, they were explained the geography of the entire landscape they were going to use as arena, which could be defined as a wide and almost never-ending jungle free of Vex activity surrounded by a few geometric style structures typical of Venus's ecosystem.

At any rate, both Ravi and Leah ended up in the blue team along with some others of their friends, like Kora and Nathan. So they were in fact quite comfortable with how things turned out, at least for now.

"Okay! Everyone get ready! The competition will begin in 1 minute!" Cayde yelled as every single blue team member began stretching and warming up.

"Are you ready?" Ravi asked Leah with a confident smile.

"Of course" Leah replied in the same manner.

"On my mark!" Cayde continued. "Ready?!

...

...

...

"GO!!!"

Instantly, 2 potent and also quite noisy gunshots were heard at the exact same time: one coming from the opposite side of the jungle, and one coming from Cayde's personal hand cannon. That was the signal to start. So without losing a second, almost every first-year trainee instantly rushed to the fight with one sole objective in mind...

STEAL THE FLAG.

There were also a few others from both sides who actually opted to stay in place, guarding the flag and making sure nobody steals it.