Chapter 19: The Stranger

Ravi, Leah and their ghosts followed the female exo stranger to one last wide room at the very back of the building filled with many corpses from both Fallen and Vex.

"Is this place really safe?" Cybel asked in a concerned voice. "The Fallen might still be lurking somewhere around"

"Everything is fine" the Stranger replied in an emotionless tone. "I killed most of them before you arrived, and the ones who survived ran away in fear"

As the guardian duo found themselves amazed by the coldness in those words, and also by the number of dead bodies all around, the stranger took out a special tiny box she had stored in a nearby shelf.

"Hey! Human girl! Take this" she then added while tossing the tiny box to Leah.

"Mmmh? What am I supposed to do with this?" Leah asked, a bit puzzled.

"Isn't it obvious? Use it to treat you friend's wound" Leah didn't understand a first, but when she opened the box and saw what it had inside she finally did. The box was filled with lot of bandages, water, analgesics, and many other first aid stuff and instruments.

"V-very well"

Ravi took his coat and shirt off. And then, as Leah began cleaning and treating the wound on his injured shoulder, the exo stranger finally broke the uncomfortable silence.

"I'm glad to see you followed me all the way here" she bluntly stated in a serious tone. "Though I gotta admit, I wasn't expecting 2 of you"

"Well, I'm sorry" Leah replied with annoyance and still cleaning Ravi's wound.

The Stranger stared at her with a bit of confusion. "Are you... angry by any means?"

"Of course I'm angry" the human girl replied while frowning. "You lured Ravi all the way here, and now..." Ravi turned to look at Leah who was too focused on treating his shoulder. "Now he ended up like this because of your stupid message"

"Leah..." Ravi muttered.

The Stranger stayed in silence for a few seconds. "I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble" she then stated while looking downwards, after which she focused back on the matter at hand. "Anyway, we haven't got much time"

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Leah asked with confusion.

"And who are you?" Ravi added in a firm voice.

"Those are fascinating questions... for another time" the stranger bluntly replied. "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"

"Did she just... avoid the question?" Wire whispered to Cybel.

"Fishy" Cybel whispered back.

"If you can't answer that, then at least answer this" Ravi muttered to the stranger. "Why did you lure us here?"

The stranger took a step forward and stared directly at Ravi and Leah. "Because YOU need MY help" she finally claimed, leaving both guardians in total confusion. "Many guardians fell, you know? Strong and brave ones. But you... You made it all the way here... and survived. You came even if it meant going against your precious Vanguard's rules"

"Is that why you approached me? Because I didn't follow the rules?"

"Perhaps..."

Something was definitely suspicious. The Stranger lured Ravi there only to state she couldn't answer his questions at all, and yet, she remained so calm and cold that it was disturbing.