12. Night Time

It's been a week since we boarded the ship. We were quickly accepted as part of the crew and got along well with everyone. 

Every night was filled with loud roars of laughter and banter, including a couple of ogre fights every once in awhile. 

It's been awhile since I had laughed so much and it was definitely my first time seeing the playful side of Hunter.

We had to dock at an unknown island to get supplies. The only inhabitants of this island were the fishermen and their families in the fishing village not far from the shore.

It was night time so I decided to take a walk. Hunter tagged along as he wants to take a breather from the awful stench of ogres and trolls in the cabin.

He is practically lost in the dark. Blind. 

But when we were together, he behaves normal though he is frightened by the occasional howls and growls of the animals at night.

I stared at the vast, wide ocean and the dark silent skies like I have been every night for the past week. The skies were painted with a bed of glittering stars. It was really peaceful by the beach tonight. The beautiful sight calmed me and made me think of my family.

I truly miss my family back at home and I know that they would be worried sick about me so I decided to tell them what actually happened through their dreams. 

Truth be told, I have had strange dreams ever since I was still a kid. Those dreams began to get more surreal as I got older and sometimes it is as though I could communicate in dreams.

I eventually told my grandmother about it. Her eyes grew wide and she looked genuinely in disbelief. There were even pools of water in her eyes as she smiles and told me that it was an ability that comes with my link. 

She reassured me that I will get my link and that I just have to be patient and really careful. 

I did not realize what she had meant then, but maybe she was talking about me being a ShadowCaster?

Later, we got back on the ship and set sail once again to yet another unknown place. I have learnt a lot from the other crew members. They were all skilled in their own special way.

The leader of the ship, Iron Lady, is probably the most experienced among us and she has tons of stories to share about the corrupted world. 

Some were even personal experiences. 

The cabin was not as packed tonight as many crew members had to handle the mast and sails due to the multi-directional winds while the ogres and trolls were busy sorting out the cargo.

As we huddled around the fireplace, Iron Lady, dressed in her usual all-red outfit, began telling yet another story.

"Well, seeing that there are just a few of us in here tonight, why not I tell you all a special story?", said Iron Lady with a grin.

"Spare us from your embarrassing drunkard stories", Hunter groaned. 

"Shut Up Rebel!",she shouted and swatted the back of his head.

Then, she stared at me and added,"A story about the ShadowCasters."