10. The Rhyme

"Tick-Tock goes the clock,

Who's the darkest of the flock?

Filled with anger, sorrow, fear and rage,

Always trapped in his own cage,

The darkness awaits, waiting for the age,

Where Black Fire will burn all,

The Dark Lord will rise and all will fall"

I woke up, drenched with sweat in a small cave. What a nightmare, and as usual that creepy rhyme was in it. 

However, this was the first time I have ever heard it clearly. I could hear every single menacing word clearly and tantalisingly. Each of it slowly etched its way into my core beckoning me to give in to the darkness.

I shivered at the thought.

I was totally beaten up and covered with dirt. I carefully stretched out my tired limbs and tried to sit upright. 

We had been running away and crawling in the secret tunnels the entire night. The tunnels seemed endless at first, but it led us here, into a tiny cave at the edge of the cliff. We decided to hide out here for the night and leave as soon as daylight comes.

Thus, here we are, as the sun begin to rise and the skies begin to brighten, I thought back about the horrible incident that occurred last night. 

I want to remember what happened during the night of the third mission but no matter how hard I tried, my memories of that night was totally blank. 

Ugh, how frustrating...

There are still so many questions left unanswered. However, I am a wanted person now and I can no longer return to the camping grounds as I am no longer welcomed for reasons I can't even recall.

I sighed deeply and scanned around the cave for Hunter.

That rhyme. 

I have never been able to hear the entire thing clearly before but now, I can't seem to get it off my mind.

'Maybe Hunter saw what happened?' I thought to myself as he walked towards my direction. 

Why do I even trust this guy? We have just met and I only know him by what he chooses to tell me.

However, considering the circumstances at hand and the fact that he did help me escape the mentors, I owe him one. I just have to be cautious around him.

"Those mentors of yours, they called you a ShadowCaster?"he asked, staring directly at me with a serious look. 

I froze. I could not believe it, with so many things going on, I had forgotten about that crucial moment. 

"Are you alright?", he asked, seeing the expression on my face changing into shock.

"No. I don't know. ShadowCasters are just a myth right? An old folk tale. Impossible!" I blurted out the last part a little too loud till the cave was filled with my echo. 

He had an unreadable expression on his face and just turned around, facing the skies and replied, "Well, there's no going back now. They want you imprisoned and will probably contact your family to see if you have returned."

That last part got to me. My family. 

Hunter is right, the mentors would not dare to announce this to the entire world. They would have to search for me in secret and the easiest way to do that was through my family. I can't risk involving my family in this. If they dare hurt my family, I would make sure they regret ever doing so.

"So, you have no choice but to follow me." he added.

I stared at him with a puzzled look. 

"Look, I am offering to help you. The only way to end this is to discover your link and prove to them you are not a ShadowCaster.", he explained. The entire cave fell silent for a moment till I finally replied him.

At first, I was reluctant to agree but judging by the situation I am in now I do not think I have much of a choice.

"Why are you willing to help me?" I asked. 

"I guess, it's cause you believe me enough to let me.", Hunter replied, looking at me straight in the eyes, trying to act cool. 

Uh! This could get annoying 

But I am grateful to have met a new friend. I rolled my eyes grinning. My entire life is changing whether I like it or not so it is time to step up and face these new challenges.