22. Trapped

*Tick-Tock goes the clock,

Who's the darkest of the flock?

Filled with anger, sorrow, fear and rage,

Always trapped in his own cage,

The darkness awaits, waiting for the age,

Where Black Fire will burn all,

The Dark Lord will rise and all will fall*

I awaken, wincing in pain due to all the recent injuries. Dammit.

They got me.

I was brought back to their base and locked up. I sat in the makeshift prison, looking down on my hands, and thought back about the moment, the surge of power that I felt. It felt oddly familiar as though I had felt it once upon a time.

Could it be that I had felt the same before. And it hit me. I gulped trying my best to recall.

Wait. This did happen before. Back at the camp forest!

I must have lost control the first time back at the camp forest but this time....This time I resisted. Control. Don't give in. Ilumnia's voice rings at the back of my mind like a constant reminder. So this is what she meant.

I sighed and tried to calm myself. A raging headache was on the way and it is not helping at all.

Calmly, I thought back about the memories in which I was treated differently by everyone else just because I was a superfluous. Well. I guess I should thank them. They made me learn how to be patient and control my emotions.

Then, I thought back about these past few weeks, meeting with Hunter, Sky and the twins. They have been supportive and we are an awesome team. Hell yah!

I smiled to myself thinking back to all those silly times we had together throughout these few weeks. We played hard and trained doubly hard.

I was so close to giving into darkness back then in the woods.

The thought made me shuddered but I breathed out slowly and calmed myself. From now on, I won't give in when I am fighting my enemies even the dark lord, Holocaust for that matter.

Suddenly, there was a commotion outside. I immediately stood up and approached the iron steel cage door. I peeked out and my heart felt instantly elated when I saw Hunter. He looked panicked and grim, I thought he was about to scold me but his face immediately soften with a hint of a smile when our eyes met.

Time for a jailbreak.

The security had noticed by now and were calling for reinforcement while running towards us. We quickly ran away as fast as we could. We left the base and hid under a bridge by the river.

It was raining heavily but there we were soaking wet, hiding from impeccable doom. A moment later, loud footsteps and the creaking of the wooden planks could be heard as the knights ran across the bridge. We held our breath and it fell awfully silent.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

A moment later, the sound of rain drops falling of the edge of the bridge and into the shallow river close to us were the only sound we could hear.

They must have left. Feeling relieved, we both panted heavily, adrenaline still rushing through our veins.

It reminded me of the time he saved me from the camp mentors not so long ago and I couldn't resist- I giggled softly. He eyed me suspiciously but he was smiling too. I can't help but feel glad that he is safe though we have no choice but to hide till the night is over.

'You're hurt' he muttered, eyeing the injuries on my face and hands.

'Nah, I am alright. They don't hurt as much anymore' I replied, smiling and suddenly felt conscious about the how close we were siting together.

'I told you not to turn back to get me.' he said, and I could sense anger? annoyance? grief?

'We were all worried about you and besides we will never leave you alone' I blurted out and saw his gaze soften with- Now what? happiness? relief?

'Everyone else is fine too.' I added, trying to change the topic and it worked. He stopped looking at my injuries and nodded.

'Good, our plan was a success then.' he said proudly and I rolled my eyes.

How did he managed to find me? The base was huge and it was really dark out. It would be difficult to find your way around the base unless........you're used to it.

I thought to myself before falling asleep, quickly disregarding it. I am just glad that we are all safe again.

Before fading to unconsciousness, I heard Hunter whispering, "I'm sorry".