Chapter 49

Hi Babes!

Sorry for the late update...again, I'm struggling over here!! It's especially hard when I've written the big scenes and now I'm trying to bring it all together. Good Lord but I'm getting there!

Enjoy!

Also, side note, how I imagine Isaac dresses all the time is with a short-sleeve button-down in every color imaginable and with the top buttons undone and a few necklaces/chains.

|| ✨ ||

I woke with a start, feeling the firm mattress under my body. The last thing I remembered was lying on the couch with my head resting in Isaac's lap while we spoke quietly. He didn't ask any questions, only sat and listened quietly, braiding sections of my hair.

My body rolled over, a pounding headache pressing in on the center of my forehead. I sat up slowly, running a hand through my tangled hair, pieces of braided hair catching my fingers.

"Ah, the queen finally rises," Isaac's amused voice calls from my desk.

My eyes were already glaring at him when I open them. He sat backward on the seat, resting his arms on the back of the chair. "Creep," I muttered, throwing the comforter off my legs and noting that I was still wearing the jeans I had been in last night.

"You love me," he teased with a wink. "Now," he stated, standing up swiftly, dusting off his jeans, and fixing the collar of his striped short sleeve button down, "Can you tell me why you called me and not your boyfriend?" His necklaces jingled with his movements.

My lips pursed and I bit the inside of my cheek. "Don't have one." I shrugged, moving out of the bed and heading into my closet, closing the doors behind me so that I could change in peace.

His knuckles rapped the door. "Look, Sweetheart, I understand breakups, trust me I do, but I am not a good rebound, I can promise you that."

I stuck my tongue out in disgust, fake gagging loud enough for him to hear. "Gross, what is wrong with you?"

He chuckled loudly. "Oh please, don't be so coy, I get it, I'm a fine piece of ass and you're eighteen now and it's technically legal but-"

"Shut up, Isaac." I rolled my eyes, pulling on a fresh pair of pajamas. "You're not that great. And what about Addison?" I asked, referring to his girlfriend.

He made a low sound in the back of his throat. "I'm going to ignore that attempt to bruise my ego, didn't work and we broke up a while ago, besides I'm in the middle of a guy kick right now so don't fret."

I pulled open the closet door and find him leaning against the wall to my right. "You and Addison broke up again? " I asked pointedly.

He waved a hand in dismissal. "It's fine, we'll be back together before you know it." I gave him an unimpressed look. "I never said it was a healthy relationship."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, willing myself to keep quiet since that situation was none of my business. We walked downstairs together bickering as siblings would. He even tries to shove me down the stairs.

Perhaps that why I called him, knowing I could count on him and his comfort because I've grown up with him around. He's been a part of this family for the last eight years and there is no way he won't be for the rest of his life whether or not he and Tessa are on good terms. They fight often enough, sometimes leading to a bruised eye or two, mostly on Isaac, but the familial love they have for each other always wins.

"Maddie! Come quick!" My mother shouted through the house, her voice full of urgency.

Isaac and I took one glance at each other and jumped down the rest of the stairs, sprinting into the kitchen, nearly crashing into each other from the momentum. I slammed the door open and my eyes roamed around the kitchen, looking for any signs of danger. Isaac was less than a step behind me, then in front of me, pushing me behind him.