18

The day had finally arrived. I was sitting in front of my dressing table, staring at myself. Something felt really off about today...maybe the fact that the whole kingdom was going to hate me after they got to know the truth today.

There was a knock on my door. "Come in," I say quietly, not trusting my shaky voice.

I turn around slowly and see Rosalie standing there with a small smile. "You came?" Rosalie gives me a shy nod and walks towards me. I stand up not knowing what to do.

Seeing Rosalie did kind of lighten up my mood. My mood wasn't as bright as the sun, it was more like the kind of rays that awaken the colours of the day at dawn. It was soft and gentle.

I start walking towards her, in order to hug her, but she raises her hand to stop me. That's it! This shattered my already broken heart. She hasn't forgiven me. I deserve this. The guilt feels like ice in me. It could be a hundred degrees out and I'd still be frozen on the inside. I can't melt it on my own, I can't shift it at all. I need Rosalie to bring her warmth, to show me that I can be better, that I can still be trusted.

"Elide, after you told me the truth yesterday, I was completely shaken. I couldn't believe that you would do something like this. I never knew you would let your fears take over you, but then after some time, I realized I cannot be angry at you for this at all. Sure, what you did was wrong, but you were scared, your father wasn't making it easy for you. But that doesn't mean I am not angry with you, it is just that I understand you and will always stand by your side."

"Rosalie, I am sorry, but I am going to make this alright, I am going to confess my crimes at the ball. I am going to free Ilariah, too."

There was something alarming in the way Rosalie was looking at me. "Elide, don't do that, you will only get in trouble. There is something you have been missing the whole time."

I felt conflicted. What does she mean? What have I missed? Before I could comprehend anything Rosalie pulls me in a tight hug. "Elide, just think about it, four people died that night." I nod my head still not sure where this was going. "You only killed one of them!"

You only killed one of them! "Yes, I only killed one of them." What was she saying, I had no clue. "Rosalie please get straight to the point."

"Elide, can't you see it? You only killed one prince that night, the other three were killed by someone else. You have only been getting those letters since the day you killed Prince Dorian! Someone had seen you kill him. But, have you ever thought about what someone was doing at midnight near Prince Dorian's house?"

Why would someone be there around midnight? And that was when something clicked in my brain! Killing Prince Dorian was someone else's plan, too! A small smile appears on my face. "Rose, but who do you think it was?"

"El, I never knew you didn't have a brain. We came to the conclusion that the letters were being sent by one of the princes. The prince wants to take some revenge. Don't you think killing some princes who are a part of this Choosing make the people doubt the King of Amaris? Won't that be a good head start? But sadly that plan didn't work,

"El, trapping you into all of this was never a plan, but the prince saw you that day and you became his way to take revenge on King Vadon. He wanted to guilt-trip you. His notes scared you and you were going to confess something which would get the whole Kingdom angry and also make King Vadon break. That was the anonymous prince's plan!"

On hearing Rosalie, the realization hit me! How could I not see that? I had almost fallen into the prince's trap! A sigh in relief, this wasn't completely my fault! But there was still one thing that was bothering me. Who is this prince? And what was he going to do today?