Chapter 26:"Broken Frame by Alex & Sierra"

Harry's POV

We had turned our heads where I could see the glare of the moon reflecting from her eyes.

I wished I could have kissed her and felt the ice of her skin. 'She's not yours,' I had to repeat to myself.

"You know me better than anyone either." I confessed.

"What about everything I've missed?"

"My life has been in the same rut since the day you walked out the door. If not worse."

"My life was good and I thought that leaving you was the best choice ever. I thought that finding Blake was the rest of my life and regretted the years I had 'wasted' on you. But Blake started changing once his company expanded. Making me do terrible things just to live up to being his wife. Making me hate myself for not being good enough for him. He'd ignore me and make me feel so worthless. Today was the first time I decided it was too much. Laying here I realize what my life could be like. Simple and... Happy."

"How did you manage this long?"

"Pain is limited to what you allow. It's unbearable and it burns so deeply in your chest but you have to act because when you're acting you can put on a front and act like you aren't wanting to die. You can act like losing the only thing that meant anything to you didn't happen. You can act like you aren't dying. You don't have to be someone who is collapsing. Then night I left you and the months after. I felt like I was going to die. But it feels beautiful now knowing that all that misery lead me back to the place I belong. I think it hurts more to forget about you than what you did to me."

"I wish I could take it all back. But I know the pain of wanting someone so badly but not being able to have them. What are you going to do now?"

"I wish I knew. But for this week, I don't want to even think about having to return to the torture. I want to enjoy my time with all of you." She slipped her delicate hand in mine.

It was a simple gesture but it felt like my entire chest was in an inferno.

I fell asleep softly to the labored breathing of Brookie. Knowing she was safe beside me was comforting while having her so closely in my arms.

•_________________•