29- The Plan

You were completely distracted with the texts that you didn’t even recognize he’d pulled back up at your house.

Jaden: “Well, as much fun as this was…”

You: “Huh? Oh, yeah. Sorry.”

Jaden: “I mean, you could make it up to me? I could come in and you could actually pay attention to me.”

You: “Sorry, Jaden. I’ll see you around sometime but I gotta go.”

You rushed inside as he peeled out of your driveway. The thought crossed your mind as you crept into your house that he didn’t seem invested enough to hurt anyone… He wasn’t a murdrrer… just a jerk.

Your mom still wasn’t home from the store but that wasn’t abnormal. You’d sent her with a list to get you through the next few days. Plus, she was a mom who could spend hours in a store if there was a coffee shop attached and never even notice how long she’d been gone. You knew she'd be home sooner than you were ready to, but you just needed a little more time so you hurried and sent her a few more things at another store you needed to stall.

You heard a knock at the door so you rushed and pulled something out of the printer. As the doorbell rang a second time, you shoved the photos in an envelope and hurried down the stairs. As the doorbell rang a 3rd time, much more impatiently this time, you swung the door open and came face to face with Griffin.

 As the doorbell rang a 3rd time, much more impatiently this time, you swung the door open and came face to face with Griffin

Griffin: *immediately getting defensive*
“I don’t know why you texted me.”

You: “Like I said in the message, Dixie left some stuff at my house that I thought you might want.”

Griffin: *lowering his head*
“I know you know the truth that we were broken up. I doubt she would have wanted me to have anything.”

You: *lying*
“No, she told me specifically she was going to forgive you as soon as she came home.”

Griffin: “Really? Did she talk about me a lot?”

You: “She cared about you but never told me details or anything.”

That wasn’t exactly a lie. You’d learned more about your best friend’s life in the past few days since her death than you had in the years of friendship before. He let his guard down a little but still stepped back to let you know he’d feel more comfortable with you coming outside than following you in. 

You shut the door behind you and wrapped your sweater around you. It was an unseasonably cool summer night. Nothing like the ones you experienced at camp. You handed him the envelope and he opened it. Inside were the pictures you’d found of Dixie and Tayler.

 Inside were the pictures you’d found of Dixie and Tayler

Griffin: “Wtf is this?”

You: “You tell me. You, Tayler, Mads, and Dixie drug me into the middle of your sick twisted back and forth and she’s not here to give me answers so you need to.”

Griffin: “I mean yeah, she cheated on me but what does Mads have to do with anything?”

You: “Look, I know that you were fooling around with Mads and Dixie was seeing Tayler. I know you guys just had an all around effed up relationship but what I don’t understand is why she took you back after?”

Griffin was aware that you knew they’d broken up recently, but it was obvious by the look of shock on his face that he didn’t expect you to know all about last summer.

You: “I heard about there being a big fight at camp but by the time she got home it seemed like all was forgiven and you were fine. What happened?” 

Griffin: “I never really liked Mads. I was just trying to make Dixie jealous and it worked.”

You: “BS! Look at those photos. She was in love with him, Griffin. She didn’t give a damn what you did. Try again!”

Instead of arguing, he looked past you and turned pale as a ghost before everything went black.