18- Aftermath

You knew you'd never be able to unsee the image of her soaking wet lifeless body being pulled from the river but you also couldn't bear to look away. You covered your ears to drown out all the screaming as Detective Sanzone rushed over.

As he pulled you towards the fleet of police cars, you realized the person screaming was YOU

As he pulled you towards the fleet of police cars, you realized the person screaming was YOU. He covered your shoulders with his jacket then rubbed your trembling arms in an attempt to warm you.

You couldn't bring yourself to speak or give any indication of what you were thinking so Sanzone pushed you into the seat of his blacked out police SUV and shut the door behind you. He rushed around and climbed in trying to tell you he was driving you somewhere but the details were hard to make out because everything still sounded as if you were under water. 

The drive back to camp was torturous. You felt nothing but still were somehow very aware you were on the verge of being sick.

Sanzone: "We need to talk about what you saw…"

You: "It- It was Dixie."

Sanzone: "We haven't officially identified the bo-"

You: *interrupting as if you hadn't even heard him speaking*
"She's dead isn't she?"

Sanzone: "Your parents are waiting up ahead… look."

Detective Sanzone pulled up in front of your bunk and your parents were standing nearby, talking with officers

Detective Sanzone pulled up in front of your bunk and your parents were standing nearby, talking with officers. They rushed over to your car as Detective Sanzone reached across you:
"I'm just unbuckling you. Okay?"

You heard him but didn't process anything as real until your dad opened the passenger door, pulling you out as your mom pulled you into her arms.

Mom: "Oh sweetie, I'm right here."

Dad: "Babygirl, I'm sure she's just wandered off somewhere and we will find-"

You: "I- I saw her body."

Your father stopped mid-sentence as your mom sucked in a deep breath in shock.

Mom: "Oh, God!"

She held you so tight that it felt like she was squeezing the last of your energy from your body as your dad pulled you both into a safe embrace. The detective had made his way around the car and seemed to be giving you all a moment before speaking up.

Sanzone: "We are still going to need to question her befo-"

Dad: *cutting the detective off*
"Here is our address, if you need to interview her again come there but I’m taking my daughter home."