16- Mysterious Disappearance

He stepped closer to you and reached out to shake your hand:
“I’m detective Sanzone.”

You: “I- I don’t know what you want from me-?”

The detective detailed what you already knew… Dixie had snuck out and at some point called her boyfriend and you interrupted to clarify:
“He wasn’t her boyfriend anymore.”

Sanzone: “Do you know why she would have called him then?”

You shifted to make sure you still felt her phone beneath you before responding:
“Have you checked the phone records? I don’t see any reason she would have turned to him. They had a big falling out the other day and she wasn’t interested in getting him back anymore.”

Sanzone: “Being depressed can make someone do things even their closest friends wouldn’t predict.”

You: “She wasn’t depressed and she wouldn’t have ever hurt herself!”

Sanzone: “Then, in your opinion, why would she have been out in the middle of the night?”

You thought about playing dumb but the longer the detective sat waiting, the more serious the situation began to feel. You knew might be betraying her confidence but if your gut was wrong and Dixie was ok… why hadn’t she come home.

You: “She was sneaking around with another camper named Jaden. I think they were together last night.”

Sanzone: “We found him asleep in his cabin this morning and he has been questioned and ruled out.”

You: “She specifically said that's who she was going with.”

Sanzone: “He said he came to see her last night but they were caught by the counselors out past curfew and sent back to their bunks. He is adamant he didn’t see her again after that.”

You: “Then where is she? There’s no one else at camp she’s even been hanging out with.”

Sanzone: “Is there anyone she’s had beef with?”

You looked over at Mads bed and wondered if you should involve her. 

Sanzone: *sensing your hesitation*
“Look, we need to know everything.”

You: “Our bunkmate Mads had a thing before with Jaden and was really jealous he has been paying attention to Dixie.”

You felt awful but you knew that the most important thing was Dixie was found safe. If Mads had nothing to do with Dixie disappearing then it would be found in the truth.

You: “She’s going to be okay, right?.”

Sanzone: “Look maybe she just wandered off or is lost, but we are not giving up on the idea that something bad has happened to her.”

You: “If something bad happened, then someone else hurt her because she would never hurt herself! She’s been through a lot and never has EVER talked like that was an option”