25- The Letter

Your dad followed them out, clearly not satisfied by the answer but your mom didn't budge from right by your side. 

You: "I want to be alone."

Mom: "You might hate the world right now, but I am going to love you with everything I am, every day of your life and there’s nothing you can do to stop me."

You finally broke down and told her the whole truth... 

What caused your breakup with Noah…

The kiss with Dixie…

The falling out…

Meeting Tayler…

Falling for him… 

Your mom didn't judge you in the least and just hugged you tighter as you cried. You sat in your Mom's embrace for a while, feeling safe for the first time in a long time when suddenly you remembered the paper you'd found just before the craziness started.

You rushed to grab it and quickly u folded it while your Mom looked on confused. As you unraveled it, you quickly realized it was a handwritten letter but when you processed the fact that it was Dixie's handwriting your stomach dropped.

You: "It's a letter from Dixie… she must have put it in there before she took off that night."

Mom: "I can stay while you read it if you'd like…"

You: "No. I think I need to do this alone."

She hugged you and crept out of the room while you took a deep breath and began to read. Your hands trembled trying to process her words… 

It was obvious she felt guilty about keeping the truth about her and Tayler from you but to swear she just wanted you to be happy? You were in shock

It was obvious she felt guilty about keeping the truth about her and Tayler from you but to swear she just wanted you to be happy? You were in shock. There was something so unsettling about why she left the note hidden instead of telling you the truth to your face that night. Had this been a goodbye note because she actually had hurt herself. 

You curled up in bed, still clutching the note trying to wrap your head around the emotions overwhelming you. You could almost feel her presence laying next to you like she had every time she'd spent the night as kids. Whenever you were left in tears by something Noah had done to hurt you she would roll over and squeeze you into a hug whether you wanted one or not. 

Tonight as you laid there, sobbing you could feel the weight around your arms as if she was still there and you broke down even harder. Your mom heard your cries and slipped back into your room and replaced the place you imagined Dixie to be.

Mom: *whispering into your hair*
"Pumpkin, what can I do? Whatever you need, just name it."

You: *sniffling up the last few tears*
"I need to go to the police station."