Chapter 14 - Ancestors

When I returned from the bathroom, I asked Qin Yi Heng what his intention is, he then started to explain to me.

This biscuit served as a tribute, regardless of gods or spirits, it's a tribute that is commonly served to them, and is considered common. The bigger, live sacrifices might not be uncommon from ancient times to present but the smaller basic pastries and fruits are indispensable. It is said that after some efficacious gods have eaten the tribute (usually the tribute is still intact, but people usually put the tribute on the altar and eat it yourself the next day), people would eat the tribute. The tributes enjoyed by spiritual gods may prolong one's life, cure diseases and save others, or even help for fertility and to gain wealth. In any case, there is endless wealth. This is of course only a rumor, and he had not verified it personally. But, if I ate the biscuits dedicated to the ghosts, not only would I not get blessings, I would be punished, and this is what I had experienced personally. I then asked him, why did you harbor evil intentions towards me?

Qin Yi Heng explained, when you eat this tribute, there are usually three kinds of results. The first kind is that you might feel that the tribute tasted sweeter, and this taste is not something you can actually taste, but merely a feeling, just like someone saying that a kiss is sweet. This kind of sweet tribute is the most dangerous, because it is said that it has been consumed by evil spirits that consumed yang energy. Women will have menstrual disorders and miscarriage if they ate it; men will have nocturnal emission and malaise if they ate it. If you continued to live near such a spirit, you will be easily possessed.

The second kind is that you will feel that the tribute tasted bitter, and it also doesn't simply refer to the bitterness of the taste. This is a good sign, because the spirit to which the tribute is dedicated for will help you, or at least not harm you. This kind of tribute, even if it is not beneficial to the body, is basically harmless. It is said that when you serve tributes to gods, whether it is fruits or cakes, it will feel bland and tasteless like chewing wax, or you can feel the taste fade.

The third kind of result is where the tribute tasted sourer to eat. This kind of tribute has been eaten by something with resentment. This resentment is not the resentment of evil spirits, but a hidden bitterness as the spirits refused to accept the tribute. This type of result would cause the person who ate it to feel its sourness, and even though it is harmless, it may sometimes cause stomach troubles.

After I listened to his explanation, I more or less understood what he is trying to say. I really wanted to show my temper, this type of experiment he knew the best, why wouldn't he do it himself, instead condemning me to run to the toilets many times.

Even though what he said is reasonable, I don't think there is much factual basis, but after thinking about, it does makes sense. Things that have been left overnight will inevitably deteriorate in a humid environment, and diarrhea is normal, but now that things are clear, what should we do next?

He said that the spirit in the side room is pitiful and did not want to harm people. If he didn't want to leave on his own, we need to find a way to let him choose to leave by himself.

Our previous method of exorcising spirits was bluntly without leaving the spirits with a choice, and to ask a spirit who had resided in this place for so many years, the possibility isn't likely. But there's no other way, as I can only follow Qin Yi Heng's orders as I didn't understand spiritual matters.

I discussed with Qin Yi Heng for a while, and decided find out how the spirit had died. After having listened to the stories from the old man, this spirit seemed to be his ancestor that is why we will ask his family.

This investigation is quite cumbersome, we pretended to be curious and asked the family elders, who even though they knew the spirit, but did not know the backstory of the spirit. We also asked the old man who brought us around to inspect the house. He thought about it for a long time, but he can only tell us that this spirit is originally an official back then.