Falling

Trigger!
Wishing of death/wanting to die
Not literally but emotionally
__________

(Aether POV)

"WAHHHHHH!"
I heard Venti scream,

I didn't see what was wrong, honestly I wanted to fall to my death right then and there.

I had caught feelings for someone who already had feelings for someone else.

How stupid

Stupid of me to think that Xiao would ever be feeling anything towards me.

I just wanted to fall into the abyss,
How did I manage to screw up everything? First Lumine, now this?

Water caught me and Venti half way into my thoughts.
Hesitantly, I swam after Venti, finding the nearest place to rest. Which were a couple rocks, I laid on my back trying to catch my breath.

"WOW, WE DID IT TRAVELER WERE-.... Traveler?"

Venti looked at me, I didn't notice I was crying, the muffled sound of my tears and pain were louder than I had thought.

"Traveler, what worries you?"
Venti asked, he moves around the wet rocks. Looking around before looking back at me.

"I-it's nothing, it's silly."
I stuttered out.

Venti stayed silent for a bit, his blue and green eyes narrowed in disbelief.

"OKAY THEN, let's set off to find an exit."
Venti got up, reaching out a hand, which I grab.

"I was looking around the area, there's a doorway over there"
Venti points to a purple, mist-like doorway, however, I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, but now is not the time.

I shouldn't have even brought up Hu Tao in the first place. She is a dear friend of mine. I don't want to bother her, hopefully, these unnecessary feelings will go away.

.
.
.
.

(Xiao POV)

The cave was damp, the rocks aura consisted of blacks and grey, the area was dimly lit, making it hard to see properly for the mortal eye, us Adepti can see in such circumstances.

Seeing Aether vanish from my sight made me feel guilty, I was stunned, "Aether..?"
I whispered.

"Xiao? Did you just call the traveler by his name?"

I didn't realize I said his name out loud.
I needed to adapt to the situation swiftly,

"I did no such thing."
I responded.

Zhongli looked at me, smiling fondly, "Come Xiao, we'll find a way back to those two. But, I find it best we converse while we walk."

My lips formed a thin line, but I respect my former master, so I will do as he asks.

He began to walk, I struggled to keep up with his pace due to his form being longer than mine.

The solution I came up with was walking faster than a normal pace.

"Xiao, tell me what do you think of the traveler?"
Zhongli asked.

The hall seemed long, and this question seemed out of place, even for my former master.

"I am unaware of what you mean."
I responded, stopping while crossing my arms.

Zhongli stopped as well, turning around to look at me.

"I couldn't help but notice the awkward situation between you and the traveler."

"Did that Fatui say anything to you?" I hissed.
I heard Zhongli let out a sigh, summoning his pole-arm to lean on.

"Whatever you hold against Childe will not matter at this very moment. I'm asking how you feel about the traveler."
Zhongli seemed more firm in his statement.

I didn't want to irritate Zhongli.
"I apologize, the traveler makes me feel a certain way, it's negative."

Zhongli raised his eyebrow.

"Oh?"

I nodded, setting myself down on the ground.
"I said something to the traveler this morning, which made the traveler act a bit off."
My voice slowly lost its path, making me question if my karma had been responsible.

"Xiao, may I ask what you had said?"
I nodded.

"The traveler wished I would get with Hu Tao, and which I responded saying I did."
Zhongli fell off his pole-arm, making him fumble over.

"Ahem, I apologize for that, you're saying you had gotten with...That child?"

I wore a questioning look, "Yes, I had worked with Hu Tao to find Aether."

My former master looked very interesting, bearing a look the was between relief and confusion.

"Xiao, are you in a relationship with Hu Tao?"

"No."

"Then have you gotten with Hu Tao."

"Yes, many times,"
I responded.

Zhongli began to lose his ability of speech, "You, her, I do not believe it-"

I was very confused as well, "I apologize Rex Lapis but why are you unable to speak? I have gotten with Hu Tao many times, if for Tofu or other things she offers."

Zhongli's mouth formed an "o" shape, "Ah I see, Xiao, by relations or when people ask if you're with her that means romantically involved."

I furrowed my eyebrows.
"Yanfei was speaking to me about that, I didn't quite understand."
I added.

"Xiao do tell me what you think when you see the traveler before you upset him."

I thought about this for a bit, usually, when I'm with the traveler I think he's quite interesting.

"I am unable to put it into words, I feel as if the taste of almond tofu is not as rich as the feeling I get when with the traveler."
I responded.

Zhongli nodded his head in response.
"Very interesting. Let us go down this cave's hallway. Once we find Aether and Venti, we will speak like this once again."

Zhongli got up, beginning to walk down the hall, I quickly picked myself up, trailing after him.

—————
I believe in Zhongli being the parental figure that Xiao needs :)
——————