Confusion

NOTES!
Trigger: talks about cuts and bruises.
_________________________________

Third-person POV:

"Traveler?! You're alive?" Hu Tao's smile was wide as she hastily got up to hug Aether. She bare cuts and bruises but she was very happy to see the traveler alive.

"You. We. I need to tell Xi-" Aether quickly covers her mouth, he sighs putting a finger to his lips, "Shhh," he says. He looks around as Hu Tao blinks in confusion. He then looks back at Hu Tao.

"You can't tell anyone where I am."

Hu Tao raises an eyebrow at that statement.
"And why's that traveler? They've been desperate to find you!"

"Hu Tao I'm hiding for a reason! Don't tell anyone you saw me tonight. Do you understand?"

Hu Tao nods her head.
Aether's smile returns, "Thank the archons, I'll explain everything soon enough, I owe you." And with that, Aether vanished.

Hu Tao stood there for a while. Coming out with a light chuckle.
"So Aether is hiding? Hmmm"

.
.
.
.

Fortunately for Aether, Hu Tao was a good liar, however, Hu Tao was also very into investigating.

Hu Tao, still injured from the fight she had fought hours earlier, finds herself back in Liyue harbor.

Wanting answers and not wanting to break the promise she made to Aether, she sought out an adepti, cloud retainer to be exact. She knew their knowledge ranged far, and they would be the only adepti that wouldn't reveal what Hu Tao had seen.
But before she could do that she needed to replenish herself with food.
As she snuck around Liyue harbor, desperately trying to get to the funeral parlor, the chatter of the townsfolk was everywhere, the smell of grilled tiger fish filled the air. Hunger panned, she continued forward, gripping the walls of buildings to the best of her ability to not be seen. She makes it to the entrance of the funeral parlor when she's met with a familiar face.

"MUNG!!"
Hu Tao yelps in surprise, for she was met with a
Mung sat at the entrance of the funeral parlor, arms crossed, with a worried expression on his face.

"Director?! OH, GOOD YOU'RE HERE!"

Hu Tao crossed her arms, raising one arm to slightly cover her face.
"Yes, Mung I am here, what is it?"
Hu Tao needed to get into the parlor and retrieve her belongings.

"A young man with teal hair is wanting to speak with you, director! He wouldn't leave!"
Hu Tao was worried, she hadn't considered Xiao would be back so soon.

"Mung fetch Zhongli as soon as possible, and three almond tofu"
She spoke in a cheerful tone before walking into the parlor.

Xiao was seated on a chair near the entrance of the parlor.
His eyes seemed distant and cold as ever.

Hu Tao knew that to further back up her lie she'd need to act quick. She linked her arm with Xiao's, pulling him up from the chair, leading him into her office. Her office smelled of cinnamon and pine, a smell she could not understand but appreciated.

Unlinking their arms Hu Tao leads Xiao to sit down on a chair while Hu Tao went around the table sitting on the other side.

"Xiao, what are you doing here?"
Hu Tao widened her eyes, with a questioning expression worn on her face.

"You called for me, Hu Tao."

Hu Tao froze for a second. A candle that sat on her work desk flickered in the quiet room, you could hear the chatter of those outside her office quarters.

Hu Tao did indeed call for Xiao, she can remember that much, but she didn't say his full name.

"AH Yes! I called your name because I wanted to have tofu with you."

This lie was convincing, ever since Hu Tao and Xiao met they would eat tofu together.

A firm knock is heard by the two, "Come in."
Hu Tao smiles brightly as she sees Mung holding tofu with Zhongli behind him. Mung comes in setting the tofu down, Xiao grabs tofu and starts quietly eating. Zhongli enters after Mung sitting himself down at Hu Tao's desk.

"Director. You called?"
Zhongli asked in a respectful but annoyed tone. Hu Tao turned her attention to Zhongli, before looking away and examining the room. The room had off-white walls with brown windows with intricate framing. The time had passed fast, for the night turned into light, a new day anew.

Hu Tao spoke, still admiring the architecture.
"Zhongli I'm taking a temporary leave from the parlors operations, please watch over my beautiful empire."

Xiao immediately dropped the soup spoon, whereas Zhongli stared at Hu Tao in disbelief.

Hu Tao pulls the second box of tofu towards her and starts eating.
Both adepti shocked, Hu Tao, willingly leave the parlors operation, it's unheard of, even if it's temporary.

"Director, may I ask what the reason for this course of actions is?"
Zhongli asked, making Hu Tao respond with.

"Aya- no, no, no, that is secret business!"

Xiao looks at Hu Tao curiously,
"Did you find anything at Wuwang hill?"

Hu Tao spins herself to face Xiao,
"No~ I found nothing, and even with all those hours!"

Xiao eyed Hu Tao curiously, inspecting the obvious ruffled appearance.

Hu Tao, remembering that her fight with the herald was only hours earlier, comes up with another lie.

"Aya, while I was leaving Wuwang hill I ran into an ugly ruin guard."

Xiao, however, didn't believe this lie, Hu Tao was powerful, and in such cases more than him, there's no way she would struggle against a mere ruin guard. Perhaps it was intolerant to pyro?

Hu Tao sensed the tension in the room, lifting herself up from the chair, picking up the empty tofu box as well to throw it into the trash. She looks back at the two men who looked everywhere but at her. Grabbing the bag that sat on her cabinet. She says,
"Well, I'm off! Tata~"
And with that Hu Tao left the room, bag in hand, and a mystery on her mind.