12. ALWAYS BE TOGETHER ☑️

Start from the beginning

Santana shrugged. "I guess... it helps me remember how much you've changed. That you've gotten better."

"Don't you see how much you and Rachel have changed too?"

Santana scoffed, closing her car door and leaning against it instead. "Wow, great segue. Come here to lecture me about making your little Berry cry?"

"This isn't about her. It's about you. I know you, Santana, and you have never once wanted to be a Broadway star. You wanted to be a dancer and a singer, but not showtunes eight times a week. That's not you."

Santana rolled her eyes. "You don't know anything about me."

"Just like I didn't know you were hiding in the closet and you were in love with Brittany? Because as I recall, I was the only one there for you."

Santana seemed to freeze.

Kayla continued. "I get it. You're mad. You're mad because you're not with Brittany. You're mad because Rachel didn't trust you and you're mad at yourself because you haven't been the same since Finn died. I get it. But you can't keep closing everyone off because eventually you're not gonna have anyone."

Santana looked down at the pavement, speaking so softly it was almost a whisper. "I just wanted to have something. Rachel has you and the show. What do I have? A deadend job and no future in sight. I just wanted to be the one to win for once."

Kayla put a hand on Santana's arm. "And you will, but Funny Girl is not your dream. It's Rachel's. It's a dream she's had since she was a little girl and I think it's the last part of Finn she has left. She needs this, San. You don't."

"Why does she get everything?" Santana asked aloud.

Kayla laughed dryly. "You know, I think you and Rachel are so similar that you haven't even noticed it. You both have such a drive and you fight for what you want, but you're still those insecure girls from high school. She hides behind her talent and you hide behind insults, but you're just the same because you've spent the whole time envying each other when you could've been best friends from the start."

"I need to apologize, don't I?"

"She already apologized. Why haven't you?" Kayla countered.

"Because I hate admitting when I'm wrong."

"You were both wrong. It's time to make up." Kayla gave her a reassuring smile before she left Santana with her thoughts. She just hoped that maybe she'd fixed things for them.

←⧪→

Everyone stood behind the stage, listening to the video Artie recorded for Mr. Schuester playing in the background. She was holding Rachel's hand while her part played on.

"Me and your dad have a difficult relationship. I call him Mr. Slut. Ask him about it. Your mom called him a slut first. But despite that, your dad is one of the few people who have always accepted me for who I am and he saw me when no one else did. I know he'll do that for you too, kid."

"You love him, huh?" Rachel chuckled, nudging Kayla.

Kayla rolled her eyes. "He has his moments, but right now, yeah, I do."

Just then the video shut off and it was time for the closing number. Their last glee number and it only felt right to sing the first song that made them feel like a team. She remembered the full week they worked on that number and working with Rachel on the choreography. It was the first time she felt close to Rachel. It started everything for them and it was the perfect way to end it too.

< don't stop believing, journey >

Rachel took the first verse. She basically forced everyone's hand. She wanted to sing Finn's verse and they all let her. It made her feel closer to him and who were they to deny her that. Kurt came next, singing Rachel's old line and she watched in amazement because really, he had never sounded better.