Part 1: new beginnings

(OOTC)- outfit of the chapter ⬆️

(Y/n)- your name
(L/n)- last name
(H/c)- hair color
(H/l)- hair length
(E/c)- eyes color
(you should know this already lol)

Your POV:

Sometimes I believe things happen for a reason, whether it be the smallest change in someone's life or moving to an entirely different state. This was my case exactly.

Not too long ago my father got remarried, this was the only time I'd ever seen him really happy since my mother died a few years ago. After he remarried we moved into a new home, in a new state, with my stepmom and stepbrother, Scotty Smalls.

Another important thing to know about my dad is that he is in love with baseball. And me being his daughter and only child to share the love with, so was I.

He taught me everything there is to know about baseball and told me all about the greatest baseball player to ever live. Babe Ruth.  My father would always tell me the story of the 1932 World Series just so I would sleep, and I would continue to ask him to tell me the story.

Many people think that it's crazy that a girl would like baseball, or any sport for that matter. But baseball is everything I'd ever known, and this summer all of those thoughts were going to change.

Scotty and I were really not that close and since we've met I hadn't  really made much of an effort to get to know him. He was a few years younger than me but even then we didn't have anything in common. But...I knew I had to start somewhere.

"Hey Scotty, do you want to maybe go ride bikes around the neighborhood?" I asked peeking my head into his room. His room was very interesting, all these little gadgets and miniature figures of random things. He put down the comic he was reading, giving me his attention.

"Sure" he got up and started putting his shoes on, I ran to my room to grab my New York Yankees  hat. "Hey dad, Scotty and I are going to ride bikes, we'll be back before supper" I said to my dad who was still unpacking some of his things. "Alright, be safe"

I went down the hall to find Scotty telling his mom the exact same thing, then we were out the door. Riding bikes was one of my favorite things to do during the summer, besides play baseball of course, I wondered if there was any fields around.

"So Scotty, ya like baseball?" I asked trying to start a conversation. "Eh not really" he replied rather briskly. "I'm more into inventions and gadgets and such" he explained.

I remember him asking the night prior if my dad would teach him to play catch. And of course my dad said that I could teach him, but I knew Scotty wouldn't have asked me on his own. "Would you like for me to teach you?" I asked.

"Really?!" He asked sounding a bit over excited, "I-I mean.. yeah sure, that'd be great" he said making his voice sound a little deeper which made me laugh. "I mean how hard could it be?" I asked smiling which made him smile as well.

I'd really just noticed what he was wearing. He was wearing this cap with a bill that was big enough to be an umbrella. I smiled to myself and payed attention to where I was riding.

As we were gliding down the street I suddenly heard a peculiar sound. I stopped in my tracks and heard my tires scrape the cement. This made scotty turn around stopping in front of me. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Shh!" I shushed him and we both listened.