18. 아빠 (Dad)

16/04/21

"NAMJOON! KYUNGMIN!" Moonsik runs up to us after Inna lets us into their apartment.

I kneel down to get on Moonsik's level. I open my arms open and he runs into me for a warm, welcoming hug. After our embrace, I get back on my feet, and Kyungmin crouches down to also give Moonsik a hug.

Inna walks us into the living room where Sooyoung greets us with hugs. Big Hero 6 is playing on the tv.

"I love this movie," I exclaim out loud for Moonsik to hear.

"YOU DO?!" Moonsik loudly questions me, shockingly.

"Of course! My favorite character is Baymax!" I share with Moonsik, as he looks at me with delight in his eyes.

"MINE, TOO!" Moonsik squeals, "This is one of my favorite movies!"

"That's good to know! It looks like it's almost over, but we'll have to watch it together in the future! I'll bring snacks!" I suggest to the little boy.

"Yes, please!" Moonsik claps.

Sooyoung joins the conversation, "We'll definitely plan a movie night before Namjoon and Kyungmin go back to South Korea. Right now, I need you to sit on the couch because mommy wants to share something with you, okay?"

Sooyoung's tone of voice turns serious and it doesn't go unnoticed by the child. I see Inna grab the remote to mute the tv.

"Oh-ok, did I do something wrong? I put my toys away in my room..." Moonsik trails off, looking worried.

"Oh, no, sweetie, nothing's wrong, okay?" Sooyoung throws a comforting smile to Moonsik. The boy nods and climbs up to sit on the couch.

"I'm going to take these bags of food and get them set up in the dining room," Kyungmin says, as her way to excuse herself to give us privacy.

"I'll go ahead and help you out with all of that," Inna says, as she follows Kyungmin into the dining room.

I decide to sit next to Moonsik, on the couch, on his right. Sooyoung sits on a leather chair adjacent to the couch, to the left of her son.

"Moonsik, remember how I told you Namjoon and I are old friends?"

Once Sooyoung spoke those words, my apprehension starts to grow even more. I was nervous on our way to the apartment, but now I'm just worried about how Moonsik is going to receive the news we are dropping on him.

"Yes, Mom. And, he's my friend now, too! Right, Namjoon?" Moonsik looks over to me and gives me the biggest grin which makes me smile back at him. This kid really has my heart already.

"Of course!" I beam at him.

Sooyoung grabs Moonsik's hand gently which causes him to look back at his mother.

"Moonsik, Namjoon and I used to actually be a couple," she starts to explain.

"You were?! Like a mom and dad?" He innocently asks out loud.

"In a way, yes," Sooyoung answers him.

"Did you love each other?" He asks, looking to his mom then to me.

"We did, very much. But, we were young and your mom had the biggest opportunity to move to the United States to pursue her dream as a doctor, and I had to stay in Korea because my career was taking off as a musician, there," I explain as best as I can to Moonsik.

Sooyoung adds on, "Although we loved each other, we had to separate because of the distance and we wanted both of us to focus on ourselves. You'll understand all that when you're older...but, anyway, because we lived in different countries, we lost contact of each other."