Not quite lacey enough

Start from the beginning

Mary, the school bus supervisor smiled at me when I opened the door, then waved at the kids. Liam and Liliane waved back, but Kailo just stood there with a big frown on his face.

"Oh my, are we having a little strap, Kailo?"

He didn't answer, just walked right past her in the direction of the bus. I thought his behaviour was adorable and appalling at the same time.

"Morning Mrs Lighthouse." Mary greeted me with a smile.

"Morning Mary, and please, call me Lacey." I did not feel comfortable being called Mrs Lighthouse and I don't know if I ever was.

She nodded. "I'll take the kids now, don't worry about Kailo, he'll be right as rain before he even gets to school."

"Thank you, Mary." I appreciated her looking out for my children.

I walked with them to the bus then kissed them goodbye, telling them how much I loved them. I waited until the bus drove off before going back inside to get ready for work.

As I was closing the door behind me, someone inserted their foot between the door and the frame, stopping me from closing it. My heart rate picked up because I knew who it was.

I tried my best to push his feet away, but Richard was too strong for me. He pushed on the door, causing me to lose my balance and stumbled back.

He came into my house, closing the door behind him, making sure to secure it on the latch. Dread filled me because the look in his eyes told me that I was in big trouble.

"Where were you on Sunday, Peaches?" His tone held no room for discussion.

"What are you doing here, Richard?" I tried to sound strong, but I failed because I couldn't stop my voice from shaking.

"If you make me repeat my question, Lacey, you will suffer the consequence."

He moved closer to me as he spoke and I took a few steps back, desperate to maintain some distance between us. I knew that I should've stood up to him, but I just couldn't. Richard didn't only work for the FBI; he was the director of the whole goddamn place. Richard could make my life a living hell with just the click of his finger.

"I was at Lucy's place."

Even as I said the lie, I knew that I was in deep shit. Lucy might be my sister, but she's been in love with Richard for years. In her eyes, I'm always the one at fault, he can do no harm.

Richard's eyes narrowed his anger at boiling point now. I took a step back, knowing that I had to get away from him or I'll find myself calling in sick again, requesting a few weeks off work.

He raised his hand, and I closed my eyes, realising that it was already too late to escape him. The sound of his hand connecting with my face rang out in the otherwise quiet room.

"You're telling lies now, Peaches?"

My face stung. I moved my hand to touch my face, but Richard captured it. I wanted to pull away from him, but I dare not.

"Let's try this again."

He moved even closer to me, so close that I had no room to escape if I wanted to. He lifted his free hand and tucked my hair behind my ear. The action made me flinched. I didn't mean to; it was just the reaction I've had towards him since my accident.

He frowned at my behaviour, but that didn't deter him. He leaned down and kissed the spot that he just hit. I closed my eyes, trying my best to stay calm as I felt the familiar panic attack raise to the surface. It's been that way with him from the moment I opened my eyes after the accident.