Chapter 50

Gemma's P.O.V
"How are you so sure that this is going to work?" Sasha argues.

"What other choice do we have?" Rick counters.

I roll my eyes in exacerbation at their bickering. This had been going on for the past two hours as we discuss how we were going to get Beth and Carol back. Many ideas have been thrown around but someone always comes up with a flaw in the plan. However when I look around our circle, I see the fierce determination in their eyes to get them back no matter what.

I turn my head to the side and see Noah looking down at the ground, his hands around his ankle. I step away from the group and go to him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"How's the ankle?" I ask.

He looks up, surprised that someone's actually speaking to him, "Um, it hurts." He mumbles, looking down at it again.

"We have some bandages and pain pills in the first aid kit. I'll go and get them." I say, turning to leave.

"You don't have too-"

I hold my hand up, "Trust me, it's not a problem."

He looks at me before nodding his head slightly and I walk over to the bag with the first aid kit. Carl sits near it with Michonne by his side, Judith asleep in the box. I kneel down and pull the bag towards me, rifling through for what I need.

"I don't trust this." Michonne says barely above a whisper.

I look up at the group, who are still arguing and back at her, "Me neither."

"Then why are you going?" Carl asks, an edge to his voice.

My eyes widen as I look at him, "Why shouldn't I?"

He keeps his eyes locked on mine, "I don't know what's been going on lately, but you haven't been yourself. You've been moodier, you've weak and nauseas and I don't think this will help. I'm worried about you."

The side of my mouth twitches up into a smile as I reach forward and grab his hand, giving it a small squeeze. He looks down at it before looking me in the eyes again, "Do you have to go?"

I nod my head, "Yeah, I do."

I sink into a sitting position and look him in the eyes, "I know you're worried about me but trust me, I'm fine."

"But you've been so sick lately." He argues.

I tilt my head to the side and raise my eyebrows, "I'm going to be for a little while longer too."

His eyebrows scrunch up in confusion and in the corner of my eye I see a bright smile cover Michonne's face, "Really?"

I turn and look at her, my smile matching hers and I nod in confirmation. She reaches forward and hugs me tightly, her soft laughter in my ear. I pull away and turn back to Carl who looks between the two of us, confused as ever.

"What's going on?" He asks.

"How about I let Michonne fill you in? Right now, I have to go help Noah with his ankle." I say, getting up and taking the supplies with me.

I walk back over to where Noah sits, still looking sullenly at the ground. I take a set on the ground and place the supplies beside me, "Foot please."

He snaps out of his revere and places his foot in my awaiting hands. I put the it in my lap and proceed to take off his shoe, catching glimpses of him wincing in the corner of my eye. I pull his sock off and see the swelling around his ankle. I gently prod at the tender flesh and he recoils from my touch, "Ouch!"