Chapter 51

Gemma's P.O.V
I hold Judith in my arms while the others tear apart the church, using the pieces as fortification. I stand in the centre aisle and watch as Sasha slams an axe into one of the pews. I look on worried, knowing that she isn't taking Bob's death well. I look away and my eyes lock with the Georgian blues, causing my heart to race at a million miles an hour. I retrieve my resolve and turn away quickly, knowing that if I continue to look I'll cave.

I turn around and go down the steps, past Gabriel who watches on in anger and sadness. He initially had fought outright against the destruction but Rick talked him into it, causing him to reluctantly agree. I round the corner and see Michonne, Rick and Carl boarding up the windows for protection. Noah comes around the corner and we lock eyes for a moment. I shift Judith to a more comfortable position before giving him a small nod.

I walk over and take a seat on the fence surrounding the church, my eyes focused on the tree line. With all the noise of the hammering and breaking walkers were bound to be drawn to the noise. I place Judith on my lap and bounce her up and down. However the motion cause me to become nauseous and I quickly put Judith on the ground before throwing up over the fence. I feel the hair be pulled away from my face as finish, a hand softly rubbing my back.

I sit up and wipe my mouth, taking a large gulp of refreshing air. I turn my head and see Michonne standing beside me, looking down on me with a mixture of happiness and pity. I give her a weak smile, patting her hand that's on my shoulder. I turn my head and see Daryl staring at me from the entrance to the church, him freezing from skewering the organ pipes into the ground. I bite my lip and look away quickly, avoiding his intense gaze.

"Are you okay?" Carl asks, suddenly by my side.

I turn and give him a smile, "I'm fine kiddo, just a bit of morning sickness."

He nods, "Yeah, I remember when mom had that. I was so worried that she was going to die." He chuckles before realising what he said.

I put my hand and his arm and give it a reassuring squeeze, "Your mom was one hell of a woman."

He nods his head, "Yeah, she was."

It's silent between us as I see a hint of sorrow flash through his eyes. I remove my hand and stand up, "I might go inside and finish packing." I say, picking Judith up.

He remains quiet as I walk away, feeling extremely guilty for bringing the pain up once again. I walk up the stairs and go to go through the door when I bump into someone's chest. I look up to apologise when I see my hunter, his hands gripping my arms. I step out of his grasp and run my fingers through my hair, "Excuse me." I say, going to go past him.

"Gemma-" He begins.

I shake my head, "No Daryl. Unless you wanna really talk, I've got to finish getting the supplies together." I say, going to move.

"Gemma-" He tries again.

"No, now please let me through." I say, staring him down.

He huffs in frustration and storms past me down the stairs. I walk into the church and see Tyreese giving me a look.

"What?" I ask.

"Don't you think you're being a little too harsh on him?" He says, his forehead covered in sweat.

I walk past him towards the bags, "I told him the truth, the least he can do is return it."

I place Judith in her box and begin to pack the last of the supplies into the bags while he continues talking, "I haven't known Daryl for as long as you but I can tell he's a person that doesn't share his feelings too often."