Chapter 20

Gemma's P.O.V
I stare at the mound of dirt before before me in utter shock, unable to move from my place. The wooden cross and flowers cloud my vision as I stare blankly at the grave. I couldn't believe that he was dead, that someone so full of life and love was ripped away. Another person that I've lost in this God forsaken world. It's been hours since the funeral and I haven't moved an inch.

"Are you alright?" A deep voice asks.

I don't bother to turn as they sit down beside me, "You know you gotta move at some point."

I turn and look at T-Dog, his face soft and sweet though his eyes are full of saddness. He was taking Dale's death very hard, as was I. Dale was the only one that listened without judgement about my past, didn't give me strange looks or ignore me. No, Dale supported me and fought for a cause that he knew was right. The decision on what to do with Randal was on hold due to Dale's death, he was safe for another day.

"T-Dog?" I ask.

"Yes?"

"Do you believe in heaven?" I ask, staring at the grave.

He is silent for a moment before speaking, "Completely."

"Do you believe Dale's there?" I ask as a tear slips down my face.

He wraps an arm around my shoulder and pulls me against his side, "Dale is in a better place."

I nod my head and lean it against his shoulder as we sit there and look upon the burial place of one of our closest friends. Soon I hear footsteps approaching us and I look up to see the hunter.

"We're moving inside." He states.

T-Dog nods and removes his arm from around my shoulders. He stands up and gives me a nod before walking towards the house. I look towards Daryl and see a strong emotion covering his face, anger?

"You alright?" He asks.

I nod my head and go to stand up and his hand wraps around my upper arm, helping me to my feet. I look up and look into his eyes, his face inches from my own. We stay like that for a moment and my heart beats loudly in my chest as I resist the urge to kiss him.

"Let's go." I say, moving out of his grasp.

We walk towards the house in silence and there is some sort of unresolved tension between us. The cars are closer to the house and everyone is outside in a flurry of movement. I walk over to the tent I share with Andrea and I see her begin to take it down.

"Hold up!" I say as the tent begins to collapse on her. She turns and she sighs in relief as I jog over and help her take it down.

"How're you doing?" She asks.

I look up from rolling the tent, "I'm fine."

She raises her eyebrows and gives me a look, "You don't have to lie to me. Losing anyone is hard and the confession you made yesterday... You are not fine."

I turn and look her in the eyes, "I'm fine."

She shakes her head, "Okay, but I'm here if you need me." She says, taking the tent to put away.

I stand up and begin to walk to the house when I see Lori walking up the driveway, "Well hey there Mrs Grimes!" I call out.

She looks over and see's me, "Oh hey there Miss Jennar!" She calls out.

I laugh and I stop as I realise what I've done and I wait for her to catch up. She jogs over and we begin to walk to the house, "How are you feeling this morning?" I ask.

"To be honest, very queasy. But you know that's what it was like with Carl so I guess I'm fine." She says.

"That's good." I smile.