Chapter 16: Confliction

Start from the beginning

I stopped trying to kick him, and instead gasped as he tightened his grip on my hair.

He leaned forward so his mouth was close to my ear. "Did you really think my soldier wouldn't catch you?! These attempts are a waste of time, Amara! No matter where you go, I will always find you! You are mine!"

I sobbed. I cried out in pain, "I... I'm not!"

He forced me up from the chair again, but only so he could shove me down on the ground. I hit his tent floor hard, and quickly tried to squirm to my knees. He walked past me, grabbing a whip from his weapon stand.

"You are! And I will show you what happens when you try to run from me!" He stepped back over and let the long leather strap hang loose. He lifted his arm, and I shut my eyes in fear. The pain was worse than I had ever felt in my life.

"Amara... calm down, child," Iroh spoke softly. His words surprised me. I opened my eyes and gasped when I saw steam in my sight. I looked down at the liquid below and saw the bubbling water that was calming.

We weren't the only ones to notice. Zuko had caught sight of the steam and came over quickly with concern. They knew hot water usually was a sign I was upset about something.

"What's wrong?"

Zuko's voice cut through me. I didn't want to tell him what was wrong. I didn't want to tell him that I hated what he was doing. I didn't want him to capture the Avatar! I didn't want the Fire Nation to win!

"I... I just need to be alone," I whispered.

I tried to leave, but Zuko grabbed my hand to stop me. "You've been like this for the last few days. Something is bothering you... talk to us..."

"I can't," I said. "It will upset you. I... don't want to make you mad."

He didn't let go. "You know nothing you say will make me mad. I promised you I'd never hurt you, Amara. I mean that."

Tears fell. I shut my eyes again. "You say that... but you might change your mind once you hear how I feel."

Zuko stepped forward and hugged me. I didn't push away. I pressed my face into his shirt, wishing he would just drop it. I knew once I told him my thoughts he'd be angry with me.

Would he stop loving me if I told him I didn't support the Fire Nation? Would we become enemies?

I shut my eyes harder as my emotions tried to pour out. My heart pounded painfully.

"Please... talk to me..."

I had a feeling the crew on deck were listening. I couldn't say it with them around. If I was about to admit my views, I couldn't let them hear.

"Can... we go talk in my room? Just the two of us?"

Zuko was quiet for a moment. Then he let out a heavy breath. "Sure."

Iroh spoke from where he still stood nearby. "I'll be at the helm if you need me, Prince Zuko."

Zuko walked me back to my room. He held my hand as we went, but I could tell he was anxious to know what was bothering me. I was scared to tell him. When we finally made it to my room, I let his hand go as I stepped inside and walked over to my cot. Zuko shut the door behind us, and then followed me over.

I sat down, pulling my knees to my chest for comfort. Zuko sat in the space beside me. He placed a hand on my shoulder to offer me comfort. "What's going on?"

I shut my eyes again. "Don't... hate me..."

He was surprised. "Hate you? Why would I?"

I pressed my face into the fabric of my pants. "Because... I..."