ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴀs ʟᴇɢɪᴛɴᴇss

Summer vacation flew by in a flash.

You never got a chance to talk to Yamaguchi about what he walked in on during training camp and he seemed to be trying to avoid you, anyways, so you saw no point in reaching out.

The team had been practicing non-stop since training camp and you had been going to as many practices as you can. That is if you wake up in time for them.

It was Wednesday before spring inter-high preliminaries, and the volleyball team planned to practice in the gym all day this week.

Upon entering the gym, Kiyoko joins Yachi and helps her begin filling up water bottles for practice. With nothing else to do, you stand next to coach Ukai who is observing the boys warm up.

"Hey," Ukai welcomes you by calling your name to which you address him with a morning greeting.

"I'm so tired, I don't want to be here," you dramatically whine, to which Ukai chuckles.

"Did I ever tell you why I asked you to be assistant coach, kid?" he asks as he watches the players practice serves.

"No, I don't think so," you respond as you turn your attention to Kageyama who toss up a volleyball and serves it over the net.

"It's because you're a really good person and a good player. I can tell you fell out of volleyball, but you still love the sport,"

You nod in agreement, understanding that he asked you to be an assistant coach not only for the good of the team but for yourself as well.

"Also," he continued, "It was kind of all Kiyoko's idea."

To this, you turned to look at Ukai in confusion, "Wait my sister asked for me to be an assistant coach?"

"Yeah, she asked Takeda about it and he brought it up with me," he replied vaguely.

Turning back to face the practice in front of you, you sigh and process what Ukai had just told you.Eventually, Saturday came, and the volleyball club collected outside Karasuno Highschool to leave for Spring Interhigh Qualifiers.

"Ready for the matches?" you ask Noya as you file onto the bus.

"Of course, I am!" He replied enthusiastically as you sat down in your usual spot in the back row.

As the bus began to move, Ukai stood up and rested his hands on each of the tops of the seat rests of the chairs in front of him. "Alright, team," he began, "today we play to win. Don't hold back, got it?"

Everyone cheered as you pumped yourself up for the Prefectural Qualifiers of Nationals. As the bus ride continues, you, Noya, and Tanaka play rock-paper-scissors collectively on the short trip to the local gymnasium.

Once the team arrived at the gym, you filed off the bus and went into the building. When you got in, you followed the team to settle in the corner of a hallway that overlooked the court.

You stood alongside Suga and Hinata at the railing as you watched the ongoing games play while you waited for your turn on the court. Hinata turned to the two of you and said, "Those guys look tough."

He pointed to one of the teams on court B as you and Suga turned your attention to who he was referring to.

"I've heard they're pretty good, but I don't think they're in our block," You replied.

"Either way, they're no match for us!" Suga exclaimed as you and Hinata both hummed in agreement.

Returning to the group, you sat next to Ennoshita and Noya and dug through your bag to find some food. Grabbing out a pack of trail mix, you picked out the M&Ms and popped a few into your mouth.