Chapter Seven

During the first half of the day, Gray finished her rounds and confirmed her upcoming surgeries. After being appointed as the chief of surgery, her list of duties increased but she didn't want to reduce her number of surgeries. Perched in her beige-colored, leather armchair, Gray took a sip from the still-warm cup of coffee in her hand. 

At the knock on her door, Gray looked up to find Wes standing there.

"Come in."

Wes stepped inside and took a seat. Pushing her beautiful chocolate hair behind her shoulders, she gave a smile. Gray was going through the appointments of Dr. Perez in the past two years and Gray wasn't happy with his recent decisions. Especially the one he made regarding the appointment of Dr. Cox as the head of cardio-thoracic surgery and Dr. as the head of general surgery. She also didn't approve his way of assigning VIP cases.

Gray glanced down at the files in front of her. "This is a mess," Gray muttered, rubbing her forehead. "Every appointment over the past two years needs to be re-checked."

Wes smiled. "I warned you that you won't like the medical director."

Gray sighed, her expression speaking volumes. "You did but I didn't expect it to be so bad and he has covered it up very well. If the issue with Matt didn't rise, I wouldn't have checked any of his decisions," she said, flipping the pages. "We have an assistant medical director?"

Wes nodded, blinking blue eyes. "Oh yeah, your uncle Ben had some doubts about Dr. Perez so he appointed Dr. Emanuel Foster as the assistant medical director. He was previously the head of pediatric surgery. Good man and I think the only reason why Dr. Perez has still not gone out of control completely."

"I didn't see either of them in the meeting. Where were they?" Gray asked, sighed and slumped against the back of the arm chair.

"They both had a meeting with the law firm handling our law suits," Wes replied.

"I don't like that firm either. The settlements are vague and ridiculous. Anyway, how come you know all this?" Gray questioned, placing her elbow on the arm of her couch.

Wes shrugged nonchalantly. "I like to keep an eye on things."

Of course he did and that's exactly why she insisted on appointing him as the chief of security. Very few knew this but Wes was Gray's right hand man. He did everything she ordered him to do. He was loyal to her, only to her and he owed her his life.

Gray sighed again. "I do not like this," she went on. "I want you to call Brandon and let him know that I need our legal group to send a team to the hospital. I need to talk to them. We need an administrator here. Someone who has some experience in dealing with such situations. I want to talk to the attorney myself and find anything you can about Dr. Perez. I want him out of here. I will not tolerate such atrocities in my hospital. Also, let Uncle Ben know about everything that's happening here. He'll handle the rest," Gray completed. The hospital administration has clearly been overlooked and that's not acceptable.

"You have something on your mind," Wes stated.

"I do but how do you know that?"

He shrugged again. "I have been working with you for the past four years. I know a thing or two about you."

Gray chuckled. "You certainly do. I'm planning to appoint this Dr. Foster as the medical director but only after I meet him. I don't want another Dr. Perez here anymore. I talked to Dr. Wilde and he's not interested in being the chief of surgery anymore. Everyone has the right to retire so how in the world can I ask him to come back as the chief of surgery. All this only means that I need to find a new assistant medical director and a chief of surgery so that I can get back to my job as a surgeon."