iii Entropy - Dessert

At first Spencer glanced around, noting everyone in his vicinity. They were all chatting and laughing enjoying their evening.

He overheard Y/n's father. "That was brilliant," he applauded. "Y/n don't let your mother know but you play better than her. And definitely better than Mason. Cats cry when he plays," the man sniggered. "You didn't tell me where your last trip was to?" He coaxed.

"Dad, if I did you would just worry. So, what's the point."

"Come on, give your old man something," he encouraged.

"Egypt. I won the bid for first access to pieces in a new tomb." She sipped her water, trying to not make a big deal of it.

"And..." Her father asked.

"And let's just say it was a profitable trip."

"That's all I'm going to get from you, isn't it? He father sighed.

"Dad these are collectors' items. We have to keep them under wraps while we restore them, otherwise curators, museums and investors get on your back," she insisted.

"Yes, yes, I know. You have to find the pieces. Value the pieces. Restore the pieces. Precious stones, jewels, artifacts. You hold items worth millions of dollars in your hands every day. That's what worries me. Do you know how many stories I hear of people working on these types of projects being targeted?" Her father winced.

"Which is why, dad, she is so vague about where she is and why," Mason backed Y/n up. "Like that time when she brought those rare bangles from the Ming Dynasty era, to dinner at the Becker's and she told us that they were just something she picked up from a street vendor in Beijing for 10 Yuan," Mason hooted.

"Why are we here, Spencer?" Cat repeated. Spencer jolted, blocking out any other voice but Cat's.

Spencer scooted forward in his seat. "We're here because you belong to a network of four hitmen who've been operating in the shadows of the internet. You're known as Miss .45. My team and I have been hunting you for months, and I knew that if I boxed you in. I could arrest you with as little resistance as possible." Spencer spoke calmy. That almost irked Cat, but she admired it on you.

"Your team being the behavioral analysis unit of the FBI?" She phrased it as a statement over a question, already knowing the answer. "You guys are good. You're the only ones that got close to us. But we got kind of close to you too, didn't we?" She goaded. "Hi Penelope,' she cheekily added. Then she pursed her lips. "Do you know why I'm so good at my job?"

"Because you kill without compunction or remorse," Spencer speculated.

"That only gets a girl so far in life," Cat admitted. "No, it's because I think through every potential outcome and then I plan accordingly. You see I didn't walk into your trap. You walked into mine." She tried to gauge his reaction. "Where's your head, Spencer? What are you thinking about?" She slid across the booth seat, edging closer to Spencer.

"I was thinking about entropy."

"Mm-hmm." She pretended to pay attention her hand sliding across his chest and abdomen.

"It's the thermodynamic measure of the degradation of matter and energy in the universe. To put it another way..." His voice trailed off as Cat's hand spread dangerously toward his waistband.

"There's your gun." Cat mischievously smiled.

Before she could go one their waiter walked over, "Good evening," he greeted them jovially.

"Hi, uh, you know what?" Cat mused to the waiter, keeping her hands on Spencer. "We've been having so much fun getting to know one another we'll let you know when we're ready okay?" The waiter nodded and stepped away. "Thank you."