five

"Use my ability? Why? What do you need to forget?" Sugawara questioned, a mix of confusion and surprise in his voice.

Silence fills the room. Unable to find an answer, I just decide to stay silent. He wouldn't understand, anyways. You see, Sugawara was never human. He has no past lives, he has no understanding of human emotions and feelings, but he tries his best to develop some kind of connection. Sugawara longs to be human. He researches them, collects his victim's special treasures and objects, and he even has a "perfect dream life" of his ideal life as a human. He loves to talk about this certain human, with passion and excitement gleaming in his eyes. He had met them only once after he finished taking out a human, but they still held an important place in his heart. The human acknowledged the fact that Sugawara was a demon, but still treated him with nothing but pure kindness. Finally collecting my thoughts, I felt ready to respond to Sugawara's lingering inquiry.

"I want to forget my past life. Specifically, my past husband." I struggle to keep my voice steady, memories still replaying in the back of my mind.

Sugawara's eyes widen, and he breaks eye contact. As if he were processing the new information, he rests his chin on his fist, and exhales a heavy sigh.

"Okay, sure. But may I ask why? I understand if you don't want to tell me, but just know you can talk to me about anything. I'm always open to listen." He reassures, hints of patience and concern resting in his calming, peaceful tone.

Hesitant, I respond, "Well you see-" I pause. "I was assigned a new human to eradicate. But, the person is-"

My voice breaks, and hot tears begin to trickle down my cheeks. I bury my face in my knees, returning to a familiar state. Sugawara is quick to jump out of his seat, and comfort me the best he can. He kneels by my side, and envelops me in a warm, welcoming embrace.

"Shh.. It's okay.. It's all going to be okay." Sugawara reassures, his voice calm and gentle.

Loud sobs escape my mouth, and I begin to tremble even more from hearing the familiar words of reassurance. In reaction to this, Sugawara holds me tighter, rubbing his kind hands up and down my back. The sensation of touch soothes my nerves, and my sobs fade into light sniffles. With watery eyes, I let out a heavy sigh. Sugawara finally lets go, and caresses my face with his soft hands, forcing me to make eye contact.

"I have to kill.. the love of my life." I blurt.

"Ah. I see why you'd want to forget that, but are you sure you really want to forget something that huge?" Sugawara asks.

"Just do it. Please. Just do it already."

"Okay, I understand."

Sugawara pulls something that looks like an abnormally sized black pen out of his pocket, and raises it to my forehead. He hesitates, then presses a silver button at the bottom of the object. And suddenly, I feel the strange sensation of a part of me fading away.

Back to present time

"Hey Iwa!" I call from my apartment window.

Iwaizumi walks over to his window across from mine, and responds with an annoyed tone, "What do you want now?"

"How rude! I just wanted to tell you that I enrolled at your college! I'm really excited to be your classmate!" I beam.

"Oh yay~ I totally look forward to seeing you everyday." Iwaizumi sassed.

a/n: aaand that's where I'm ending this chapter! I hope you enjoyed! Thanks for your support, Leah 💖