Rule Six- The First Date

A.K.A. Avoid being an over-eager idiot

It's finally here. The product of all your work- the first date.

Rule One, Two, Three, Four and Five still apply- you have to look good, be interested, restrict your availability, and reel him in. I suggest, for Rule Four, that you don't kiss him, but a goodnight peck on the cheek will suffice.

The first date should typically be a cliché- a movie and a dinner, or picnic, or just dinner. Make sure you know where you're going, and dress appropriately. If it's at night, bring out your big guns. Revealing, but not slutty, clothes can make it or break it.

Remain interested, yet aloof. Mystery can drive boys crazy.

I enter the restaurant fashionably late in a low-cut red dress and red high heels, my hips swaying. I see Jason looking half annoyed in a table for two in the corner, until his face lands on what I'm wearing, at which he looks noticeably happier. He gets up to escort me to the table, and pulls out the chair for me to sit in.

"How are you?" I inquire.

"Better now you're here," he replies quickly. "How about you?"

"I'm fine, thank you," I answer. I smile warmly, but coldly inside. Diverting the attention back to him, I ask: "So what have you been doing this year? Have football try-outs started?" But I could really care less. Football uniforms are disgusting.

"Oh, I'm playing soccer this season," Jason corrects me. "Football was too dangerous to this wonderful face, and I think I like soccer better. I'm already set to be the captain of a great team."

In football you wear a helmet. Even I knew that. Why do you think that face is too good for football anyway? I've seen far better in my time. And ew, soccer. Soccer uniforms are even worse. They show off hairy legs and knobbly knees.

"Can't you play both soccer and football?" Not that I care. They all suck.

"The training sessions clash often," he muses. "I think it's too much hassle to do both."

"Oh," I say. "So tell me about soccer. I don't know much about it."

"There are eleven people on a team, and three substitutes..." Please, kill me now. I'd rather sit through Double US Gov than this. At least then I'd learn something useful. Well, useful ish. Why is football called football anyway? It has nothing to do with feet. It's just a name stolen off the Europeans for soccer.

I lose concentration and simply smile and nod, focussing on his expression. Suddenly, I'm jolted back to reality.

"So, Hazel," Jason leans back in his chair. "I've spoken too much this date. It's your turn now."

I start, but thankfully I'm given a reprieve by the waitress taking our order.

However, Jason doesn't forget.

"Tell me about yourself." He says the dreaded words, and I curse internally at letting the conversation be re-routed to me. Damn Hazel, you're losing your touch. Never let them know about your life. That's a cardinal sin of heartbreaking.

"My life's not very interesting," I force a laugh. "I doubt you'd want to hear about it."

"Oh no, I do!" Jason protests, with a hint of triumph and maybe even a slight inkling of malice in his eyes. "I want a full life story."

"Well, my name is Hazel Young," I start with the inevitable introduction. "I'm 16, and I'm a junior. I enjoy jogging, drawing, and talking with my best friend Helena." I pause for breath. "Now, I see our food is coming, so why don't we just eat?"

God Hazel, you really need to practise. You're getting a bit rusty aren't you?

---

I step out of his car, the door having been opened graciously by Jason.

"Thank you for a lovely night," I whisper, failing to mention that it was actually extremely boring, full of clichés, and the car ride back had been awkward and filled with pregnant pauses.

"Don't mention it," Jason smiles warmly and happily, a sentiment I can't share. He leans towards me, obviously expecting a goodbye kiss on the lips.

I stand on my tip-toes and peck him on the cheek, then leave him wanting more.

Well, I published this chapter and when I checked back later on, I hadn't written an author's note! Scandalous! So here I am again.

Hi.

Seriously though guys, the first chapters have what? twenty, thrity reads each and this chapter has four. I am really disappointed. No, not really. As long as you're reading, it's okay, I guess. But remember the more people who vote and comment, the faster I upload. Di is busy off trying to finish editing the next chapters and stuff, as well as her own book. So there is only radio silence on her end.

But I have read what she has written so far (her book will probably be called "The Mermaid Hunter") and it is UH. MAZE. ING. She tells me there are about nine chapters to go (this is a week ago and there are thrity chapters) and she has to edit it, so it will probably be up in February or March.

Yes, this is Di. The girl who tells me I write too slowly. Huh.

But all seriousness, if you want to hear one of my crap analogies, her book would be Harry Potter (okay, maybe not. That's a bit too far. But definitely maybe Hunger Games, or Divergent. Or not. Just think of an above average book which you enjoyed) while this book would be Twilight. Actually no. My analogies suck.

Although, I do have two stories planned which will be pretty good (hopefully). One is "You Had Me at Goodbye" which I wrote quite a bit of over the summer, then I read it and it was complete and utter drivel, so I deleted it off my computer. I'm in the middle of properly planning the stroy. It'll be way better than TROBAH, don't worry! Another one is "The Girls Next Door". I'm not saying anymore, but if you liked the Walter Boys, or Walker Boys (this chapter is dedicated to the author of the Walker Boys) then you may like "The Girls Next Door". If you comment below with questions, I will happily answer them.

But until then, thank you for reading all the way until the end of this chapter!