Chapter 31 - The Inevitable

It was so odd driving back home without Elvis. As I passed through Medford, around where Elvis woke up after sleeping for about five hours, for the hundredth time, I thought about what really insane thing happened just before I left San Francisco...

I had just finished packing, and after I zipped up the zipper to my duffle bag, I heard something coming from the courtyard outside. It was singing, Elvis singing, but it wasn't Elvis's voice, just one that sounded like it. My heart started racing when I realized who was singing outside. I opened the door and came out onto the walkway in front of all the doors to find Drake standing there in the sunlight, a yellow guitar in his arms, with his hair done like Elvis's, and he was in a dark collar shirt over a white polo. He had on slimming black slacks as well. He grinned once he saw me and started singing and playing on his guitar a song that I obviously knew. I gripped the metal railing as I watched and listened.

People came out of their suites, phones out, but I wasn't focused on them, I was focused on the young man down in the courtyard, standing there in the grass, serenading me, his eyes on me. My chest pinched in emotion as he sang out the words to the song. No guy, aside from Elvis, had sang to me before. I had always wanted this to happen to me after seeing it in movies. I felt touched and flattered... but that was all I was, unfortunately. Unfortunate for him.

Drake ended the song and the people around clapped and cheered for him, and all looked at me to see my reaction, since it was clear to anyone watching that he was singing to me since he was looking at me the whole time he was singing. I had to do something. I walked to the staircase, went down it, and came up to him in the courtyard as he took off his guitar. He embraced me as soon I was up to him.

"Hey, Hannah."

I smelled his cologne, and it tickled my senses, as much I didn't want it to. "Hi. Wow, what a greeting."

"Yeah, I know." I came out of his hold. "I'm sorry that I haven't showed my face yet. I was so busy."

"I know. Elvis told me."

"He told me about what happened with his family. It's awesome that they all believe him. What a treat that they get their Elvis back after forty-four years."

"Yes, it was quite the emotional reunion. He's going to stay with them from now on. He belongs there." I tried not to show sadness because Elvis wasn't going to come back with me, and I wouldn't be able to spend more time with him.

"I agree. I can't imagine how elated all of them are now."

"More than any person or group of people can be."

We looked around at all the people watching us from where their suits were. To them, this was some proposal or something. Why else would a guy serenade a woman, other than to tell her how he feels about her? That was exactly what Drake did, and we had to talk about it, not in front of all those people with their phones out, recording this. "Let's head up into my suit. We should talk."

"Sounds good to me."

We made it up to my suite as the people around cheered and wolf-whistled at us, and all the while, I tried to come up with what to say to Drake. After what happened with me and Elvis before I dropped him off, I didn't think I could love any other man again. I didn't want to. I didn't even feel this way towards the last guy I was with.

We came into my suite and I shut the door behind me, and Drake set his guitar against the wall near the door. I saw him eyeing my bags. "Leaving so soon? Don't you leave in a week?"