Chapter 2 - You're Really Him

Mom told me to just go along with this guy believing that he was Elvis. She said that when she was a nurse and working at PeaceHealth Medical Center just down the freeway in Vancouver, she met mental patients who thought that they were someone else, some of them thinking that they were celebrities or people who have already passed on. When she or others told them that they weren't who they say they were, they got angry, upset, hurt, and so forth, so it was safer to just pretend to believe them. This guy I was driving to Dr. Kendall's office didn't seem in any way angry that I didn't seem to believe him, he just seemed confused. Mom said that was another thing. She told me to forget getting her a coffee and just bring him to the doctor since hitting your head heard enough to cause confusion or hallucination was a serious thing. She said I would probably have to go to her previous place of work to get him checked out by a specialist if this was serious.

I glanced over at him as he sat in the passenger's seat and stared out the windshield, his head against the rest. It was no wonder that he believed he was Elvis, because he could be the carbon copy of him. I wondered what his real name was. Would it be wise to ask that? He would say Elvis again. Maybe I shouldn't ask, then. What did his ID say? He had to have an ID, right? Everyone did.

"So... is your head still hurting?" I asked him as I drove through the street that ran through the original part of town that had the buildings that had been around since this town was founded in 1906. One could tell by the old style of the buildings.

"It's a little numb at the moment, but mostly because I'm in a bit of shock."

"Shock?"

"Yeah. I mean, you're tellin' me the year is 2021, sixty-four years later than where I'm from. This has to be some wild dream, or... maybe Colonel Tom Parker, my manager, is pullin' some stint. I have no idea."

Yeah, he was still confused, but he was there enough to do math. My heart hurt for him, at that sad look on his face, making those attractive lips of his lower. I had to say something. "Hey, we'll figure this out. I promise."

He turned his head slightly to face me, and he made that smirk, and I noticed those cheekbones, both iconic on Elvis. It was insane that he had both, along with the deceased star's other features and hair. "You're really kind to be doin' this, Hannah."

I glanced over and saw a soft look in his blue eyes. Heat crept into my cheeks. "It's no problem, really. I don't have much to do today anyway, so..." I looked back at the street.

"Still. Thank you very much."

I let out a little gasp. That was exactly how Elvis said it in the movies and other videos I had seen of him. This guy must had really done his studying and voice altering. Even his normal voice sounded like him. I wondered if he had ever won contests because he looked and sounded exactly like Elvis. He would put the best Elvis impersonator to shame. I could say that with some authority since I heard him sing my favorite Elvis song earlier.

"You're welcome."

I turned onto the street the clinic was on. I came up to the little house-like building. The Elvis look-a-like stared at it. "This is it?"

 "This is it?"