Chapter 15 - You Beautiful People

Grant Milligan got to talk with Hannah about her interests before I got the chance to. I had heard Hannah talking from her room, and I couldn't hear what Drake was saying, but I could make guesses from what Hannah was telling him. Now I knew her favorite food, and her favorite pass-time, other than listening to my songs or watching my movies. I also knew that Drake had a thing for her. I didn't blame him. He probably took one look at her picture and thought the same thing as me when I first saw her - she was an angel.

"What are you thinking about so intently?"

I looked over at Hannah as we made our way to the care center. Sarah was a few minutes behind us since she had to run a couple errands. She didn't want to miss this show when she missed the last one.

"Just things," I told Hannah. "I kinda overheard your conversation with Drake earlier today since both our doors were open. The guy seems pretty interested in ya."

She pursed her lips, and I could tell that she was trying to hold in a smile. That bothered me. "Yeah, maybe. It's just kind of unbelievable."

I gave her a disbelieving look. "Unbelievable? Now c'mon. Any guy who looks at ya would be interested."

"Thanks, but I guess it's just unbelievable that two stars think I'm something more than what I thought myself to be."

If she wasn't driving, I would take her hand and hold it in both of mine. "Hannah, I didn't know ya your whole life, obviously, but I guarantee you've been a beautiful girl for the whole of it. If no one has said so to you, it's either because they were shy or just doggone blind."

The corner of her pink lips quirked up. "That's sweet. Thank you."

"It's the truth. There's no tellin' what that Drake boy's gonna do when we meet 'im tomorrow. He's gonna faint."

I gave her a pointed look and she let out a cute little giggle. "He's going to faint not because of me. You know that he's been obsessed with you his whole life, I think more so than me because he took the time to train his voice to make it sound exactly like yours, and he played you in Sun Records. When he sees you, his manager or whoever's going to be with him will have to stand behind him so someone will be able to catch him if he faints from the shock."

I chuckled. "Well, I guess we'll see what happens, huh? Wanna make a bet? Who he's gonna be more shocked to see?"

"I'm going to win that bet. How about we bet two of your songs? If you win, I get to pick two you perform for me, and if you win, you get to pick."

"I get to pick and you  sing 'em."

"Oh, no, no, you'll do the singing."

She glanced at me, then back at the road, and I chuckled at the face she made. "Okay, okay, fine. Deal."

We pulled into a parking lot to a light-blue-colored building, and it looked to have rooms connected to it on the left, like a little one-story apartment building. Cars were parked right up to it. "Well, here it is," Hannah said.

"It's looks to be a nice little place."

She parked the car in a parking space over on the right of the parking lot. "Yeah, it is. My grandma stayed here until she passed, and we've had a couple family friends who have stayed here, but have passed on already. Other people we know live here, too."

"Like that Rosie you and your mamma spoke of before."

"Yeah. Maybe we can swing by her room and say hi if she's not going to be in your little audience."

"I wonder how many people will be seein' me?"

"Not a lot, since this place isn't all that big."

We got out of the car and into the sun. As I held my guitar case, we walked up to this building that had a little sign above the entrance that read Woodland Assisted Living. I would be in a place like this if my deceased counterpart was still alive. Either that, or I would be living in my mansion in Graceland, living there until my passing.