Chapter 21 - Elvis Slept Here

The meeting was awkward. As we discussed the songs to be sung for the show, Drake and I made glances at each other, and Elvis didn't look too thrilled either. Drake looked like he wanted to talk to me about it, but I wanted to get out of the building and head to the car. I was sure he would call or text me sometime later.

I knew the clouds from earlier weren't promising. The wind was cool, and there was a light drizzle, which reflected my mood. I wasn't all too happy about a guy kissing me and having another guy I like see it. I knew he saw it, or at least he heard our conversation. This would be an interesting drive home.

We got into the car, and I sat there for a moment as Elvis put on his seatbelt. My heart pounded in nervousness. I wanted to say something.

"You doin' okay, Hannah?"

I blinked a couple times, not expecting him to say something first. "I should be asking you that. I know you heard that conversation with Drake and me before we went up to his suite, and I'm sorry that you did."

He gave me a sad little smirk. "No, no, I'm just sorry that you felt the way you did. Hannah..." He turned his body to face me. "I wasn't angry with you for tellin' me 'bout my momma. I was just tryin' to keep it all together, that's all. And... honestly, if I was you, I would've hidden that secret, too, afraid that I would hurt the other person. I don't blame ya for tellin' me when you did, honest."

I stared at his blue eyes full if sincerity. "Really? You're not angry with me?"

"No. I mean, it's not your fault that history says what it does. I was just in shock."

I saw his eyes start to redden, and I hastily put my seatbelt on and started the car. "Let's head home, and you can be by yourself for the rest of the day."

He nodded to that and that made my heart pinch. He was obviously still hurt.

We headed out of the parking lot and made it onto the freeway. I let out a large breath in exasperation.

"Hannah, really, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I will be. Today has been quite the day." The memory of Drake's kiss came back, and my cheeks burned. I knew Elvis saw it. It was irritating that my fair skin didn't do me any favors.

"I agree, especially for you."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't like lyin' or keepin' things from ya, so I think that I should tell ya somethin'." He paused for a moment, and I was a bit afraid of what he would say. "So, I... After I finished singin' for those people earlier, I went to go and find ya. I remembered you sayin' that you were headed to the restroom, so I went there. That's when I heard ya talkin' to Drake 'round the corner, and..."

Dang it, I knew it. "You saw us, didn't you?" He nodded and my heart dropped. "I'm sorry... Look, I was a mess, and I wasn't in my right mind. I didn't even want him to kiss me."

"He sure wanted to kiss you, though. I'm just surprised that he hadn't done it earlier."

I groaned. "What is it with me and Elvis men? Remind me never to go to an Elvis convention."

He laughed at that, and my body eased a little at the lighter atmosphere, and that he was feeling a bit better. "How 'bout Elvis Week? That's basically an Elvis convention, right?"

That was true. "Okay, maybe only that one. I've always wanted to go to Graceland for Elvis Week, anyway." I gave him a pointed look. "And if I'm lucky, I can take the actual Elvis with me."

"I would be thrilled to come along. I really hope that I'm here until then."

"I hope you are, too."

The drizzle suddenly turned into a downpour hitting the car loudly. I couldn't help but laugh, and I loved that I could after what happened earlier. "Wow, well, welcome to the Pacific Northwest."