Kitchen

Luke is so desperately trying to open the fridge door. It's the funniest thing. I'm sitting on the bench watching him. He finally opens it then Julie comes down.

Julie - Ah! I'm never gonna get used to that. Do you guys even eat?

Luke - I just wanna see what'cha got.

She shut the fridge door

Luke - Hey! You know how long it took me to open that?

Laura - Way too long. It was funny, you should've seen it.

Julie - Sorry, I don't believe in wasting power.

Luke - Good. Because that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about.

Julie - Our power usage?

Luke - No. The power that you have.... Your voice. Your piano playing. Dude, you're like a human wrecking ball.

Julie - Is this a pep talk?

Laura - An attempted one.

Luke - Look what I'm saying is that you have the power to move people. To knock them off their feet. There is no way your teachers wouldn't let you back into school if they heard you play like that.

Julie - I asked her. She said I have to wait until next semester.

Luke - That was your first mistake. Asking.

Laura - Hey... First you ask then you do...

Luke - Sunset Curve booked gigs by doing. We went into ambush mode. We played in front of clubs. We played in back of clubs. We even played book clubs.

Julie - Book clubs?

Luke - Yeah. We didn't get many gigs out of that one, but they did have some gnarly snacks...

Laura - You would always ask Mr Grim if you guys could sing for assembly and shit.

Luke - I'm just saying, don't ask for permission. Swing that wrecking ball of talent at your teacher's head, and smash those stupid rules right outta their brains.

Julie - This isn't a club, it's a school, and your plan sounds violent.

Luke - It's a closed door, and you gotta bust it open. Sorry. Once I start with the metaphors, I can't stop. I learned that in book club.

Julie - They're not just gonna let me back in.

Luke - If getting back into music is what you want, then you gotta go for it. Learn from me. Your tainted hot dog could be right around the corner.

Laura - Ew don't put her out of her appetite.

Julie - I don't even have anything prepared.

Luke - Thought you'd say that. It's called "Bright." It's a Sunset Curve song I wrote that we never got to record. But it's perfect for your range. Check out the chorus for a second. If you add a bit of piano, I'm telling you...

Your eyes, through the night

You and I

We will fight to shine together

Bright forever

And rise through the night

You and I

We will fight to shine together

Luke - Go up high.

Bright forever

Luke - Yes!

Julie - Thanks.

Laura - Wait, that was the song about me... Aww

Luke - Yeah, I've sung it to you but we never recorded it

Julie - Gag, get a room

We laugh and Julie goes to bed