Chapter 14: Sweet As Sugar

Mulai dari awal

I went to walk past him but his hand shot out and he grabbed my arm, our eyes meeting at the same level.

''He's with Alic.'' I nodded my thanks and he let go of my arm, my course set right for my uncle's room.

''Jai Jai?'' Savannah, a little girl that never left the side of her best friend, Jade, tugged my mate's pant leg.

''Yeah?'' He crouched down to her level, his eyes winced in pain for a second at the movement.

My wolf growled at my mate being in pain but did nothing to go after him knowing we had caused the pain and our mate may not be so forgiving at my animalistic half's aggressive advances. He's many, many things but a teddy bear is not one of them.

''Are you an omega?'' The whole room came to a standstill as they watched the small girl tilt her head at Jaidan.

''How do you-''

''You smell different and mumma says omegas have a very weak smell.''

I couldn't stop staring at her. She had quickly assimilated to her senses and would make a fine high rank, tracker or scout. She would be able to choose any position she wanted with her strong mind and gracious self-pride. However, through my admiration I couldn't help the prickle of annoyance at her calling my mate an Omega and associating it with a weakness for the word had many meanings and not all were kind.

''But Vannah we don't keep our omegas. Mumma says that it's good that we don't. She says they're bad.'' I growled lowly at the small girl, making a note to end rumours of the sort.

Jaidan's eyes had gone glassy and his whole body tense. I wanted to rush out there and pull him behind me to hide him from the cruel words but before I could make a move, Savannah's eyes turned murderous to her friend.

''I don't care what our mummas say or even Alpha! I love Jai Jai and I can't wait for him to be the pack mumma!'' Savannah gave my mate her biggest grin and ran off to play with Jade again as if nothing had happened.

Alic was wearing a big smug grin as he walked up to Jaidan, giving him enough time to return to his standing position and slapped his back, glancing at me before his eyes returned to the smaller boy beside him.

''You heard 'em Jaidan. Don't let them down.''

A tear ran down his cheek and he brought the back of his hand up to his mouth to hide behind it, trying to blink away more tears as his eyes shuddered between dips and bulges on the floor, never concentrating on one place for long.

I took that as my queue and walked up to him quietly, Alic nodding his head and leaving to occupy the girls. My hand slowly lifted to his beautiful blue eyes to brush away the tear and hold his small face, my eyes betraying me and looking at him with pain watching for what he was thinking.

''I-''

I couldn't even get out my words as his fists clenched my shirt and he moved himself into my chest and silently cried, the tears seeping through my shirt and onto my chest but it didn't bother me in the slightest. I would soak up his tears for eternity.

His hands screwed up tighter and tighter until they loosened comfortably and his body sagged into mine peacefully.

I cautiously moved my arms around his lithe frame and laid my head onto his to take in his intoxicating heavenly scent and cradle him in my arms. His grip tightened again and I felt a small smile tug onto my lips as I dropped my hands lower so I could hold him without hurting his wounds, my grip bringing him as close as I could manage without causing further injury.

I could get used to this.

Jaidan's head shifted beneath mine and I watched him shake his head at my uncle, my eyes widening before a huge grin almost split my face when he stuck his tongue out at the burly man.

''I can't wait until Jai Jai gets pregnant.'' Savannah smiled, everyone freezing for only a second before Alic let out a horrendously loud laugh.

Her hazel eyes just smiled warmly while we each had our own reactions. I could almost feel my grin splitting my face, Alic was trying not to keel over as he slapped his knee laughing, Jade was staring at Alic like he indeed was some breed of an idiot and my little Angel's face was thermonuclear before those pretty blue eyes trained on me and he pouted.

I couldn't resist as I kissed those plump pink lips and gods be shocked his face went brighter before he nestled into my chest and refused to come back out.

''Well I better get you little devils back to your mums for a nap before they bite my head off.'' Alic swept up both girls over his shoulder and exited the room.

''I'm as sweet as sugar.'' Savannah sang out to correct the man and it made me laugh and Jaidan poke his head out.

I studied his face while he watched the trio leave with a small smile on his face as the girls waved their goodbyes and yelled their promises to come visit Jai Jai again.

I felt movement on my chest and watched as Jaidan pulled his hand to his mouth and let out a huge yawn, his eyes closing and his head shaking after the act as if to shake the tiredness from himself. I never thought such a common action could be beautiful but he made it work.

''Tired?'' I moved his hair away from his eyes, the white blonde strands as soft as sand dropping through my fingers.

He shook his head but I could see his eyes drooping and I was holding the majority of his body up, his over exertion taking a toll on him. It was late afternoon and it had been a long day for the both of us. Any pack problems would have to wait until tomorrow.

With little protest I lead him back to my room and laid him down onto the softest furs of the lot, making sure to cover every inch of his body with an assortment of deer, bear and wolf pelts.

Watching him wince as he shuffled around tiredly made my wolf stir and claw inside me aching to comfort our mate.

''Can I help?'' He looked at me quizzically but complied when I carefully rolled him on his side and lifted the thin fabric of his shirt, my brow creasing with anger at the nasty red swollen rips on my mates back.

I had done this.

I could feel his eyes staring at me over his shoulder as I leaned down and kissed the middle claw mark. He hissed and gripped my hand on his hip painfully with his left hand, small whimpers and whines following as I licked the wounds.

The red swelling faded and I could see the wound slowly closing but it would still take the rest of the night to close completely because of my toxins in his bloodstream. I was grateful though when he looked more relaxed as the pain faded away and he rolled back over and stared at me.

Before I could get comfortable next to him his hand came out from the covers and rested on my cheek where he stared confused, me mirroring his expression before I remember the claw marks from my father's punishment.

I had figured the majority of his rage was fuelled by me knowing so little about my mate that I had no idea he had a fear of Enforcers. I hadn't had a moment to learn the little things that made Jaidan, Jaidan. But, I swore to myself that I would make time for it now.

I was about to pull his hand away and tell him it was nothing but he leaned over and licked the wound, his head falling back on the pillow when he was content and his eyes drooping closed but his hand never leaving my jaw.

My eyes were wide and my body still as I watched small even breaths escape his parted lips. I lay down completely, still staring at the boy before me. He was truly an angel; a mate who would care for me with such tenderness even though I, his greatest fear had harmed him.

My body relaxed and my wolf purred with my mate's actions and basically wanted to rub himself all over him with gratitude but I settled for bringing him closer, never removing the hand from my cheek and falling asleep to the scent of the sweet aroma emanating from his neck.

 The next chapter will be very long and exciting -in more ways than one- 

Oh my feebie gee stahp Steph.