The Hero

"Bye Grandma. I'll come you see you in a few days."

I shut her car door and she took off down the block while I walked back inside.

"Mom! Dad! I think we need to invest in some glasses for Grandma!"

Dad chuckled while Mom rolled her eyes.

"Sody Dream, if only you knew it hard I've tried. Your Grandma is more stubborn than I am." Dad made a funny face.

"Sody, go on and take her for a spin."

He picked the keys up from the coffee table and tossed them to me.

"What if it's a he?"

He chuckled again. "There's only one way to find out."

I got my jacket off the coat rack and put it over one arm.

"Sody maybe you should just wait until the morning," Mom said giving me a funny look. Dad scoffed at her, while picking wine glasses off the coffee table.

"Sarah, let her go this is Sody we're talking about." I smiled at Dad's compliment.

"Exactly Johnny, this is Sody. In a car. At night. In Manhatten."

I chuckled and put my jacket over my other arm.

"Mom I'm gonna be fine okay? I'll be back in 20 minutes. I promise." I kissed Mom's cheek and grabbed my phone and walked out the front door.

Right when I put the key in the ignition and turned it on, a cloud of dust filled my torso and the passenger seat. I see now that this car was not bought at a legit used car place. After wiping the dust off myself, I gave it a little gas and drove out of my neighborhood and around the surprisingly not crowded city. This is just what I needed. After three hours of being cooped up in a house with every family member I can name, I finally have a chance to breathe.

While driving down Lexington and 32nd street, I saw a little creature by a building. It was a dog. Poor little thing. I need to get it. We don't have to keep it, I'll take it home tonight then take it to the vet tomorrow.

I flashed my lights in hope that that would makeit run over to the car. But that only caused it to run into an alley. So I did one of the stupidest things I've ever done, and pulled into the alley. At night. In Manhatten. I guess Mom was kind of right.

I held my hand out and the little dog ran over and sniffed it. I rubbed my fingers together and it started rubbing up against my legs.

"Oh you're one of those cuddly dogs aren't you?"

I went to pick it up, which it gladly let me do and laid my jacket down on the passenger seat for it and shut the door.

Right as I turned around, a tall figure was standing in front of me. Actually, he wasn't very tall either but he sure as hell scared me.

"You got any money?!"

He's obviously a New York native based on his accent.

"I-I......I." I-I-I want you to leave me alone.

"Did you hear me?! Do I gotta ask you again?!"

I stepped back as he stepped forward.

"I-I don't have anything." I could see a smile play on his lips. It almost looked familiar.

"Oh I bet you got something! You got that nice necklace, diamond earrings, or you could just gimme the keys to your car."

I clutched the keys for dear life, knowing he could probably get them out of my hand.