The Delivery Room

Life couldn't be better right now. Mom's in the kitchen cooking dinner, her pregnant belly growing by the minute. Dad's sitting with Deacon, my twelve year old brother, and watching baseball. Bogie, my four year old sister is coloring a picture of Cinderella. And me, well I'm sitting at the table, admiring my beautiful family wondering if life could get any better than it is right now.

"Can you color the page with Belle," Bogie asked me handing me a yellow crayon. I nodded and gladly accepted the crayon as I began to fill in Belle's dress.

"Alright my little band members dinner's ready!"

Daddy and Deacon came and sat down and mom set the Salisbury steaks on the table.

"Oh Edney called today," my older sisters, Edney and Miranda, are in college,"Said she and Miranda are leaving early tomorrow but they need another car to pack stuff in."

Mom looked at me.

"Are you gonna let me go," I asked hopefully.

"Of course. We want you to get a feel for the campus in case you decide to go."

I'm going to college. But I've been considering taking a year off. Dad's fine with it. But Mom is still trying to cope.

"I'm going to college Mom, and I guarantee you tomorrow could possibly change my decision."

She smiled hopefully and Dad winked at me.

"Oh honey a letter came for you today." Dad pointed at the counter.

"From who?" He gave me a smirk. "Are you serious?"

I got up from the table and shuffled through the mail until I came across the letter with my name on the front. It's from Freddie, my older brother who's in the army right now. He never writes as you could tell by my surprise.

"What's it say baby?" I sat back down at the table.

"Just asking how everyone is. It says he's sending our Christmas gifts since he just got them made."

Mom laughed."Classic Freddie. Giving Christmas presents in June."

Dad got up from the table."Daddy where are you going?"

He turned around and faced me.

"I'm just going to the bathroom I'll be right back."

He continued to walk to the bathroom and the timer on the microwave went off.

"Honey will you get the rolls out of the oven? I think my water just broke."

Mom said it as if nothing were wrong before realizing it.

"My water just broke." She scooted her chair out.

"Holy sh-." Mom looked up at me.

"Don't you dare use that language in front of your siblings."

She needs to focus less on punishing me and more on having these babies.

Did I mention there were two?

"No time for punishment Mom we gotta get you to the hospital. Deacon turn the oven off. Bogie get her bag. Where is Dad?"

Crap he's in the bathroom. I went and violently banged on the door.

"Daddy the babies are coming."

"They're coming as in now?"

What kind of a question is that?

"Yes they're coming now and we gotta get to the hospital."

"Honey just take her now. I'll meet you there."

Are you kidding me?

"You promise?"

He sighed."Yes. I will be right behind you." I hesitated but agreed and ran out to the car.

After the longest 10 minute drive of my life, I got mom checked in and called my grandmother to come pick up Deacon and Bogie. She wanted to stay but I told her I had it covered. Still no sign of Dad. He's been here for the birth of every baby, he can't miss this one A nurse came to the waiting room and looked at me.

"Is your dad here?" I shook my head.

"Alright well we can't wait. We're moving her into delivery we need you."

My eyes went wide.

"No no no no no not me. They had to blindfold me while I was at the blood drive at school. I can't help her give birth to two babies."

She grabbed my hand.

"Honey I know that this might be hard for you, but your mom needs you right now. I promise it'll be a lot faster than giving blood."

I sighed but agreed and as we were walking back we caught up with mom. The doctor handed me one of those sets of scrubs and once we got to the delivery room I put them on.

"Alright Sarah. You ready to push?"

She let out a blaring scream.

"I'll take that as a yes."

Mom grabbed my hand and I closed my eyes. Before I knew it, both babies were out. A boy and a girl. Once the nurses got them cleaned off, Dad came running through the door.

"You're a little late Johnny." He let out a sigh but smiled.

"I was wondering who would take my place this time. Where are they?"

The nurse handed the boy to Mom and the girl to Dad and he walked over to the bed.

"I think we've run out of names." I scoffed and told them I picked names out.

"When did you pick names out?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"They just kind of came up the other week. So for her, Mercury. And for him, Mayson. But with a 'y'."

They looked at each other and looked back at me.

"Those are perfect."

what's up buttercups! i don't know if people were confused by the choice of names and why they are referred to as "little band members." all of the charecters are named after members of the iconic band Queen (a.k.a. the greatest band on the history of the planet) there were only four members but there were lots of recurring members and people who filled in. anyway please comment and vote and i hope you guys like this first part! love ya lots! <3