Fifteen: About The Burnt-Out Gifted Child

"Your family sucks ass?" I echoed a little flabbergasted. I mean, sure, why not. It's not unusual for students to be having  issues with their family, I suppose. But Jungkook seemed very blunt about it - as if he just resigned to his fate of having a family that "sucks ass".

Besides a very sour look directed at nothing in particular did he not elaborate. Carefully, I placed Jee onto the ground, watching how Jungkook eyed me warily, as if this quite frankly bland statement was meant to make me feel outraged to the bones. 

I cocked my head to the side, "...and?"

"What do you mean and?" He frowned, "That's why I don't wanna go to that stupid dinner."

I huffed, "Okay, yeah. I see that. I meant, why do you think your family is so awful?"

"Oh." Jungkook looked at me surprised, as if he didn't expect me to ask further. 

...

Was he blushing? Yeah, he was totally blushing.

"Jungkook?"

"Uhm," He scratched the back of his neck, eyeing Jee who'd been staring at the two of us fascinated, "I don't even know where to start."

My gaze also landed on Jee and I smiled at him, ruffling his hair quickly, before looking back at Jungkook, "For another time?"

He smiled thankfully and nodded, "Yes."

I got up, gently leading Jee out of the kitchen by his shoulders, "And you, my friend, are going to put on your jacket now, 'cause mommy's about to come."

___

Jungkook still couldn't believe that she made him put on a tie. A god damn tie. And he had styled his hair back. Because she told him to.

She was currently sitting on his left side, one hand resting on his knee, just like she always did back when he was a little kid and couldn't hold still.

Today he was perfectly fine with sitting still for an hour or two, but she still felt like doing it, because in her eyes he hadn't changed since then.

- which was ridiculous to think about, because he made sure of constantly reminding her of how much he changed.

"I'm so jealous of you, Shiro." His aunt (at least that's what he believed she was) chirped, talking animatedly to his mother next to him, "Your little Jungkookie was so smart when he entered school, but my baby is having so much trouble."

She stressed her words in a weird way that annoyed Jungkook, and spoke too animatedly, as if she was scared that his mother would loose interest if she just talked like a normal fucking person.

"Oh darling," His mother Shiro rolled her eyes, "Don't worry about that. The way your child is now does not determine their future."

-which would've been an amazing thing to say if she didn't add;

"Look at Jungkookie! He used to be such an amazingly gifted kid and now he's mediocre at best."

"Just treat Chenle like your son, "Jungkook butted in smiling, totally not referring to poor little Chenle, "-and not like your personal project for success and recognition-"

"-Jungkook." His mother scolded warningly.

"-wouldn't want you to be a shitty parent-"

"Jungkook."

"- 'cause that's how you usually end up dying alone in a retirement home."

"Jungkook why do you always have to start with that." 

And that's how he ended up going home earlier.

Jungkook pressed his forehead against the cold glass of the train's window, exhaling slowly. His breath fogged up the glass, making the night sky outside look blurry and dull.

It wasn't that his entire family sucked. No, just the part of the family that he knew - which was his mother, basically. And even her he wasn't that close with. Maybe that's why he hated family dinner's so much - because he didn't know any of the people there, despite their relation by blood.

He always valued friendship bonds more anyways. Even if his friends were idiots, he knew them and he cared for them.

A female mechanical voice announced the next stop and he leisurely got up from his comfortable seat, bright artificial lights invading his sight as soon as he tore is eyes away from the nightly outsides.

A burnt-out gifted child, that's what his teacher had referred to him as at the beginning of High School. He hadn't liked it, but it was something like his wake up call.

He wasn't really feeling tired yet, when he turned the keys to unlock the entrance door, but he knew that his roommate wouldn't be asleep anyways, so he could stay up and watch TV as long as he pleased.

"Back already?" Y/N didn't turn away from her movie when he entered, big bowl of popcorn seated in her lap.

He kinda wanted to lay his head where the popcorn bowl rested, but that was an issue for another time.

"What're you watching?"

"Legally blond." She answered through her mouthfuls of popcorn, "Why back so early?"

"M-" He thought about his answer for a moment, stopping in the door to the living room, "My mom." He said slowly, eventually.

She was quiet for a moment - which was the amount of time she needed to chew and swallow her remaining popcorn, Jungkook realized - before she lowered the volume of the movie and looked at him, "You don't have a great relationship with your mom, do you?"

No shit. Jungkook smiled sheepishly, "No."

"Why?" She put the bowl away and he felt urged to take its place.

"Uh." He answered incredibly smart.

Weirdly, Y/N looked upset for a moment, until she looked back at the tv screen with a quiet smile, "You don't have to tell me, you know?"

No, that's not it!

"No, I-" He chuckled and sat down next to her. He hadn't prepared himself to talk about emotions and shit, "It's weird for me to talk about stuff like hat, I was kinda taught that it's like showing weakness." 

"I see." She chewed on her lower lip, fingers fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, "You know that it's not, right? A weakness, I mean. I told you pretty personal shit as well, didn't I?"

She had a point, "I know, I know." Jungkook groaned loudly and threw his head back against the cushions, "And it's not that deep really. My mom's just typical case of "didn't achieve her goals herself so uses her kid as a second chance". High expectations, no motherly love. I was like... a project for her, I guess."

"Sounds like a cold mother-son relationship." Y/N said dryly.

"Yeah, you could say that." Jungkook scoffed, taking a handful of the popcorn, "When I realized what she was doing I started to distance myself and tried to learn more about who I was and wanted to be." He mumbled through popcorn.

"Ah yes, the rebellious teenager."

Jungkook laughed,  "By the time I was out of the house I started to be honest with her and what I think about her."

"Yeah, that explains your tone during phone calls." She tried to be serious but clearly, there was some form of glee behind her words, "You fucking brat."

___

I'm sorry for taking so long but school's kicking my ass lately

xx