XVIII - careless man's careful daughter

Taylor slipped her engagement ring onto her hand and grabbed her purse. "Are you ready to go babe?"

Joe nodded, putting his coat on. "I can drive today if you'd like."

"Are you sure they're gonna be okay with it?" Taylor said, fidgeting with her necklace. The signature one she always wore, the one with the J pendant.

"Love, they've been bugging me about it for so long now. They love you."

"Okay," she said shyly.

------

A few minutes later, they arrived at his parent's house. Joe walked over to Taylor's side and opened the door for her. Reaching for his hand, she stepped out of the car, and fixed her hair. Intertwining their fingers, they walked up to the door of his parent's house. Taylor reached her hand out to ring the doorbell, hiding her left hand in her pocket. Joe squeezed her hand tightly, reminding her that he was there for her.

The door finally opened, and Taylor could hear Flint's barking in the background. "Hey Liz!" she greeted. She embraced her with her right hand and kept her left hand safely in her pocket.
After Joe greeted his mother, they walked into the living room where the rest of the family was. It was still a while before they would have dinner so they were all just chatting and watching the football game.

Taylor looked at Joe hesitantly so he smiled at her and cleared his throat. "Guys, Taylor and I have something to tell you. We're engaged!"

As he said that, Taylor pulled her hand out from between her thighs and showcased the ring shyly.

The whole family was silent for a few seconds, processing the information before Elizabeth jumped up to hug them, then they all followed.

Patrick hugged Taylor tightly and looked at her excitedly. "Does that mean you're going to be my sister?"

"Kind of," Taylor laughed.

"How did he propose? Which day?" Elizabeth excitedly asked.

"It was at the lakes on the 28th." Taylor giggled happily. She was so relieved that they were happy too.

"We should open a bottle of wine for dinner," Richard said, patting their backs in approval.

Taylor and Joe glanced at each other before Taylor spoke up. "Um... Actually, I can't drink right now. I'm pregnant."

Patrick leaped up from the couch and immediately hugged Taylor this time. "Oh my god! Congrats!"

Elizabeth embraced Taylor warmly, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I think I'm about three months along now, we're due on April 28th." Taylor grinned.

Joe rubbed her shoulder gently, placing a kiss on her head and mumbling a quiet "I love you" into her ear.

"I'm so happy with you guys, you'd be the best parents." Elizabeth said, hugging the both of them.

The living room was now alive with energy, with everyone ecstatic over the two exciting pieces of news. The football game broadcasted on the TV was now long forgotten. In the faint distance, the timer was heard and Elizabeth excused herself to go to the kitchen and check on the roast.

"Please excuse me too," Joe said, dropping Taylor's hand he had been fiddling with and getting up from the couch. He disappeared up the stairs, assumingly to the bathroom, leaving Taylor with Richard and his two brothers. Patrick scooched closer to Taylor and hugged her again.

"I'm so happy for you guys, honestly. I've never seen Joe this happy, to be honest."

"Thank you Pat, you're definitely going to be the baby's favourite uncle," Taylor smirked, earning a gentle shove from Joe's other brother.