VI - aurora and sad prose

A few hours later, the pair was on the rooftop, drinking the wine Joe brought. They were already quite buzzed so the conversation they were having was very raw with no filter.

"What was your first impression of me on the plane?" Joe asked, taking another sip from his glass.

"You're gorgeous." Taylor replied, staring straight into his eyes drunkenly. She meant that though. "You must get all the ladies' attention," she giggled. "What about me?"

"Well," Joe said, hesitant to say the truth. He was still sober enough to have coherent thoughts. "I like you."

Taylor froze and was speechless. She just sat still, tensed up and stared at the view of London from up there. After a few more moments, she replied, "What? As a friend?"

"No no, more than that. I'm sorry if I've ruined what we had, but you're amazing and I want-"

"I... I'm sorry... It's just- I can't reciprocate your feelings Joe. I just see you as my friend." Taylor was still staring at the skyline, not daring to look him in the eyes. As selfish as it was, she didn't need to see the hurt she had just caused him. "I- I just can't, I'm sorry."

Joe turned away and said, "I think it's better if I left right now." He chuckled bitterly and put down his wine glass then climbed down the stairs to leave.

Taylor suddenly spoke up again. "Joe, can you promise me something?"

"Depends on what it is I suppose."

"Please please promise that you will never ever ask me out." she knew how it sounded-- mean and hurtful. But he just had to know, she saw him only as her platonic friend. From first grade. She didn't want to lose him over this.

"Okay," Joe said with a sad smile. "I promise you."

He walked back up the few steps and reached over, extending his pinky. Taylor hooked it with hers and joined their thumbs together. Pinky promise.

Taylor stared at him as his shadow faded into the walls and his footsteps were soon inaudible. Did he just say that for real?

They had made plans for lunch the next day and Taylor was praying that it wouldn't be awkward between them. Much to her surprise, Joe was his usual cheeky and bubbly self.

"I'm just a bit hungover, don't worry Taylor. I'm gonna keep my promise from last night alright?" He said in his thick British accent when hugging her. Taylor nodded solemnly, rubbing his back.

"Also, Do you remember what our last pinky promise was for?" he said and winked.

"Fuck off," Taylor said, the very scenario clouding her head.

She could not help but blush as she led him to the kitchen. He was still so caring and understanding, even after being rejected and stabbed in the heart last night. He didn't deserve it, yet he handled it so gracefully.

After lunch, as they cuddled up to watch a movie, Joe stared at Taylor and grinned cheekily at her. She was mesmerizing and beautiful. Marry me already.

--------
"I'll see you later then Taylor." Joe said, walking down the driveway to where his car was. He wanted to spend more time with her, if not the rest of his life.

September 7th

"It's so weird to think that 19 years ago, we were in first grade and it was just so fun. I still remember you apologizing to me at lunch." Taylor teased him.

Joe stuck his tongue out at her and mouthed the same word at her. "Fuck", he mouthed. Taylor gasped playfully and shoved him lightly, rolling her eyes at him.