Chapter 17

Y/N's POV:
It was a usual school day until a jet landed carrying Fury and a school inspector arrived unannounced. The guy was tall with a suit. I could tell he didn't like me from the moment he met me. Remaining calm and polite I gave him a tour of the school providing him with the syllabus, assessment results and data to support how well the school was running. He took random children questioning them on the syllabus trying to find any reason to fail us but he couldn't find a single one.

Fury called all the staff into the room for a meeting while the inspector returned to wherever he came from.
"What was that Fury?" I ask confused and concerned.
"That was the government. They don't like the idea of a school for gifted kids that they have no say in so they're trying to find any way they can to take control of the school. It's believed by some of them that it should have a regulatory body based in the government. Now I'm not sure of the legal standing they have but the lawyers on my team are looking over it now. Do not be surprised if you get a call requesting your attendance at a hearing where you'll have to speak in front of a panel who will decide if you're acting beyond reason and whether the school poses any risk," he explains.
"Why didn't we see this coming? Of course they weren't going to let us have one positive thing without trying to control it," Sam says infuriated.
"Let's not panic yet. We'll wait for the lawyers to see if they have any jurisdiction if they don't then we're in the clear. There's no point stressing about this until we know they have a case," Wanda assures us all.
"Babe it's the government if they don't have jurisdiction they'll pass a law that means they do. This is going to be long and exhausting. We better by start preparing the kids and the parents," I sigh.
"You're right. Just be prepared that's all you can do for now. Get a list of parents that are willing to give you a glowing review and a list of kids who can demonstrate that you're upholding the values of America and all that bullshit. Be ready for them to drag up every single thing you've ever done wrong in your life using that as an excuse for why you shouldn't be looking after children," Fury states before leaving.
"Thank God it's Friday and we can just get really drunk and forget all this rubbish for a while," Bucky says.
"I don't think we can. I mean you look at Sokovia those accords came out of nowhere when you were least expecting it. We have to get ourselves ready. Everyone of us needs a speech prepared. This is going to be a massive fight. We can't slip up or they might close the school all together," I explain.
"Why don't you all come over and we can write what we want to say together and decide it as a team. We'll order takeout and make it a little bit fun," Wanda suggests. Everyone nods in agreement.

We eat our food and then start planning.
"Ok why don't we all make a list of the bad stuff we've done that they might drag up and how we've improved from that person and what we've done to change from those people. Then after that write why you chose to be part of this school and what it's taught you and what you bring to the job," Wanda advises.
"That's not fair your wife has never done anything remotely bad in her life," Sam sulks.
"She's the face of the school so that's a pretty good thing. Babe they'll probably ask the most of you in terms of the data and about the school itself you focus on that," she says kissing me on the cheek. I nod. This was really stressing me out and she knew it.

I looked around the table and I guess I didn't have the best example of model citizens but they were the best people for these kids. I mean Bruce is one of the smartest guys on the planet and what happened when he was the hulk was out of his control. He hasn't hurt anyone that he wasn't asked to since he became smart hulk. Bucky was the one that really didn't look good. I mean we have his therapy records documented and he's never alone with the kids even though I trust him completely. Even Wanda the whole Lagos fiasco but that wasn't her fault and why this school is necessary they're learning control so that when they're in the real world no one gets hurt. That's my drive behind the school.

Valkyrie gave me all the important data that I needed to know creating me a cheat sheet of sorts with assessment grades etc in comparison to the results they were getting before joining us. The testaments were going to be easy to sort out lots of the parents were so grateful and the kids were too. If I could I'd get Maria to talk that girl was wise beyond her years but cause she's one of our kids that would be too biased.

We spent hours writing and talking about what we wanted to say.
"I think that's enough for tonight. I don't know about any of you but I'm exhausted," I yawn tiredly. Everyone nods saying their good nights. Climbing into bed with Wanda my mind was running at super speed.
"Babe stop I'm not even trying to but I can hear all your thoughts spiralling. What can I do to take your mind off it?" She asks kissing me softly.
"I don't know babe honestly. This whole thing is such a mess. The kids are happy we're happy and no one is getting hurt," I explain. She stands up bringing me my guitar.
"Ok let's sing about it all your frustration and worries let's sing them out. What song do you feel like right now?" She asks. I start strumming Try by Pink.

Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame, someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try, try, try
Gotta get up and try, try, try