|Chapter Thirteen : The Cave |

Start from the beginning

"Just a faerie seed can grow into such a beautiful tree. Imagine how the faerie realm would look like." I didn't realise I had said it out loud until I catch the look of surprise on Valerian's face.

"The faerie realm is enchanting, Miss Winchester. So are the fey creatures. But when you look past their beautiful faces, they're one of the most cunning creatures."

"Are they?" I quip my head to the side, "I thought they can't lie."

His lips quirks up at the sides, "One can do so many other things without lying."

"True." I say looking around once more before setting my gaze on him.

"Why don't you have a seat?" Valerian gestures at the clean cemented floor as he himself settles down.

My eyes takes into the way he's seated cross-legged on the floor. I fight back the smile threatening to pull on my lips at how much not-kingly he looks sitting like that. But before I can relish in the light feeling it brings, my vision catches the little trail of blood around him.

"There's blood oozing out of the wound." I point at the puddle around him with an alarmed look.

Valerian just stares with those beautiful green eyes and annoyingly blank face, "It'll dry up in a few minutes."

My gaze immediately snaps to him in a sudden wave of annoyance, "It's not about the floor. You are bleeding. The floor won't file a petition if it gets stained."

His brows raise in amusement at the tone of my voice but I can't seem to be bothered. A sudden unexplainable surge of worry gnaws at my insides when the little puddle of blood keeps growing larger.

Without having any control over my actions, I find myself walking over to him and kneeling down to where he's seated.

"Remove your shirt."

Valerian's eyes snaps to mine in surprise and shock?

"What?" He asks as if he didn't hear and that makes my annoyance fuel more.

"Remove your shirt. Let me tend to the wound." I repeat only for him to shake his head.

"It's fine. I won't die." He holds up his hand dismissively.

The word die makes my heart clench for some reason. I shake my head against the odd feeling and scoot closer to him.

"You will if you don't clean that up. So remove." I say sternly this time.

Valerian's lips quirks at the side in clear amusement, "You do realise ordering around the king is not really a peasantly thing to do."

"I'm not your peasant. I'm your guard. Your safety is my duty." I shrug as if it changes the fact that I'm still a peasant of his kingdom, "And what's a king if he's no more?"

"A minor bleeding can't kill me, Miss Winchester." He gives me an amused smile.

I blink and then blink again. Did he just smile? For the first time since I met him?

I shake my head again against the giddy feeling that withers inside me like a creeper coiling against a rod and focus my attention on him.