Prologue

Prologue

Mount Othrys stood tall as the dwelling place of the Titans, the reigning powers of the Greek realm. Inside one of its grand palaces, the air crackled with tension as a titaness screamed, her body contorting in pain, heralding the birth of two extraordinary beings. 

Nymphs hurriedly moved about, carrying amphorae filled with cool water to soothe the perspiring forehead of the laboring Titan. Despite the torment of birthing her sixth and seventh children, she retained a striking beauty that would captivate mortal eyes. In the depths of her soul, she clung to a fervent desire to alter her offspring's fate and reunite her fractured family.

Amidst the tumult, a powerful surge coursed through her, and the cries of a newborn mingled with the mother's anguished screams. It was a boy, and she gazed upon him with unconditional love amidst the chaos. Soon after, another contraction wracked her body, and a trusted nymph named Adrasteia swiftly swaddled the infant in cloth, creating a cocoon of comfort. The baby lay there, drowsy yet startled by the cries of his younger twin.

Rhea, the Queen of Titans, released her final scream of exhaustion as she birthed her last child. She was quickly attended to, cleaned up, and propped against the headboard, cradling a child in each arm. Her gaze shifted first to her son on the right—Zeus, their beacon of hope. Unlike his siblings, she yearned for Zeus and his twin to escape the cruel designs of their father. Then, she looked at his brother—Perseus, the harbinger of destruction. His golden eyes, speckled with green, shimmered like an archipelago amidst his amber irises.

Rhea nodded in agreement, her eyes meeting Adrasteia's. The nymph carefully took the two bundles in her arms and gently placed them in a nearby cradle. Understanding the weight of the moment and the daunting task of presenting the newborns to their formidable father, Adrasteia's expression mirrored her genuine concern. Rhea recognized the wisdom in her loyal companion's plea. The plan could withstand a brief delay, and a couple of hours of rest would not overly test Kronos's patience, the formidable Titan Lord.

—X—

A few hours passed, and the grand feast continued to fill the halls with mirth and merriment. Laughter echoed, mingling with the lively melodies that swirled through the air. The enticing aroma of delectable dishes permeated the room, teasing the senses of all in attendance. Amidst the revelry, the time drew near for Kronos, the mighty Titan-King, to formally meet his newborn children. While Kronos had caught a glimpse of the infants earlier, ensuring no cause for suspicion, this was the moment of official introduction. Seated alongside her husband and brother, Rhea exchanged a knowing glance with a trusted servant, silently signaling the commencement of their daring plan.

With utmost care and precision, the babies were discreetly switched. The bundles that replaced them were cleverly wrapped to resemble healthy infants. The careful wrapping concealed any evidence of the swap, making it seem as if nothing had changed. Though it might not withstand close scrutiny if Kronos were to inspect the bundles more closely.

Meanwhile, away from the bustling hall, a swift and quiet operation was underway. The real children, guided by their loyal escorts, were led through winding corridors. Their footsteps echoed softly as they were led to a secluded mountaintop park, bathed in the serene glow of the moon. Ancient trees stood tall, bearing witness to the unfolding events. With a sense of reverence, a pair of gentle hands emerged from the very earth. Cradling the infants tenderly, these hands conveyed a deep sense of protection and whispered promises of a brighter future. And so, the precious twins were carried to their destined refuge—the mysterious Psychro Cave on the eastern shores of Crete. Within the depths of the cave, a simple cradle awaited their arrival, offering a sanctuary of safety and solace, shielding them from the turmoil of their birthplace.