Chapter 51: Guilty or Not Guilty

Alaiya's POV:

Almost five or six months ago, I was in my kitchen and crying on the floor as Carson slammed the door and left to go to another woman.

Almost eighteen years ago, I met Carson; the sweet little boy who loved to play basketball and football and also knew how to always get my mind off my drunk dad.

Five years ago, I started dating Carson and thought that I would have the most perfect future with him. We would live in a regular family house, have kids, and live normal people lives.

Now here I am, standing in a courtroom, about to send that same guy who I thought I loved to prison because he isn't that same boy anymore. And here he is, glaring at me murderously as his life is being determined before us.

He put up a fight, so why would he all of a sudden decide to just give up? He hates me, his mom hates me, so what chances do I have with him at this? I spoke my truth and he spoke his lies, and now all that matters is if he wants to continue or admit to what he did.

It's all up to him.

"Your honor, we've discussed it." Mr. Simon makes the entire room filled with silence as we all await their decision.

"We're ready when you are," Judge Ali replies.

"My client chooses to plead guilty." Mr.Simon stands with his hands in front of his body with Carson glaring at me.

My eyes widen as I look at my grandparents and Roman immediately who are just in the same amount of shock I'm in right now.

He what!

"Ms. Storm, you may return to your seat," Judge Ali allows me.

I snap myself back and follow her instructions as I take a seat and process what just happened. It feels quiet, yet loud at the exact same time while my mind won't unpause from hearing those words be uttered.

He pleaded guilty?

Sofia's attention is pointed towards the judge, and mine is as well, although my mind is spinning with confusion. The judge is writing something down in a file as we wait for the final call, and I out of a weak impulse, turn my head around at the eyes I can feel on the back of my head. My grandparents comfortingly smile at me and I give them a small smile back, but when my eyes meet his, I can't help but get emotional.

Why is life so unfair?
Why can't something just stay good?

He still smiles at me even after what I did to him, and I keep my small one on display to keep myself from breaking again.

"I have reached a verdict," Judge Ali concludes in a commanding voice, making me turn my head back to her. "In the case of Alaiya Storm versus Carson Walker, I find the defendant guilty of non-consensual pornography and domestic abuse and violence," she affirms. "Four years of prison and six months of community service." Judge Ali slams the hammer a little harshly on her desk as she makes her ruling. "Meeting adjourned."

I won?
He's going to jail?

A weight off my shoulder and chest that feels as if it's been there my entire life is finally lifted and evaporated into the air for the first time in my life. I still haven't processed it yet and don't think I'll ever be able to, though the relief can definitely be felt.

"All rise," the police officer allows.

Everyone but me stands as I'm looking blankly at the wall to replay the moment again, but Sofia taps my shoulder which makes me stand up as I remember where I am.