The Past Battle

"Then what did the kings and queens do?" quizzed Rishi.

"They battled him, against his enormous army of pure evil," revealed Indra.

"And lost?" asked Rutuja.

"Not really," said Indra. "Yes, they lost their lives but only after successfully destroying almost all his army. They just couldn't destroy him."

"Destroy?" said Rishi. "You mean to kill?"

"No, I mean to destroy," said Indra.

Rutuja and Rishi exchanged a confused glance.

Daksh, on the other hand, was now almost lying on the grass, closing his eyes, taking deep breaths, somehow not bothered about the story his father was telling.

"Azazel is dead, technically, so you can't destroy him," revealed Indra and looked at Dai Ma.

"What do you mean?" asked Rutuja and straightened her back.

"He did die in the battle against the kings and queens, but they did not kill him," said Dai Ma. "Nobody knows how he died, but, he resurrected, nobody knows how."

"I don't get it," said Rishi. "We all are protecting a self-sufficient book. I mean it has the powers of all kings and queens."

"Exactly, son," said Indra.

Daksh opened his eyes, shifting his gaze from his father to Rishi, who wore a faint smile. He rolled his eyes in response, sitting up straight and stretching his arms, followed by a gentle rotation of his neck from right to left.

Rutuja observed Daksh's actions and gave him a questioning look, silently asking if he had actually been asleep.

Indra continued, his voice filled with a mix of seriousness and wisdom. "The powers contained within the book can be obtained through two means," he explained. "Either the book chooses you, or, in Azazel's case, forcefully acquired."

Daksh couldn't contain his curiosity any longer. He spoke up, emphasizing the last word. "Forcefully? How, Dad?"

Rutuja couldn't help but wonder about Daksh's emphasis on that particular word and the underlying reason behind it.

"Azazel holds some exceptional powers which we aren't aware of, yet" replied Indra. "If he gets his hands on the book, he can bewitch it, control Grantha, and snatch those powers, or worse, make her his slave."

~~~~~~~

"On the count of three," Maya instructed, her hands moving in a circular motion, as if conjuring an invisible ball. "One, two, three!"

Advika closed her eyes, stamping her foot firmly on the ground. Meanwhile, Maya released the imaginary ball of energy, propelling it towards the cupboard.

With a thunderous boom, a blinding flash of lightning erupted within the hut, accompanied by a cloud of swirling dust.

Coughing, Advika sank to her knees, her hand pressed against her chest, while Maya fought through the haze to reach her side.

"Advika! Are you alright?" Maya called out, her vision obscured by the lingering dust. She waved it away, taking a few cautious steps toward the split cupboard.

"Zarna!" Maya cried out, scooping her friend into her arms. "Advika, where are you?"

Maya gently laid Zarna on the ground and fetched a small water bottle from her bag. Sprinkling some water on Zarna's face, she softly urged, "Zarna, please open your eyes," patting her cheeks in an attempt to revive her.

Zarna's face looked lifeless, her hair and clothes all covered with mud.

Maya removed yet another small glass veil from her bag and filled her hand with the transparent liquid.

"Let the past be the present. Let time heal all wounds. Let all the harm be undone. With the power of the water, so mote it be!"

Zarna opened her eyes as a few drops of the liquid fell on her face. She took a few deep breaths, looking around, her eyes searching for her friends. She could see two outlines hovering over her face.

"Maya, we need to get out of here asap," said Advika and helped Zarna get on her feet.

~~~~~

"So now?" asked Rutuja.

"Our next step will be building an army," said Dai Ma.

"Wait! What?" said Daksh. "Who will join us? Nobody dares to stand against him."

"That's why we are here," said Indra. "Near our people, near the people who were and will remain on our side."

"I do not see anybody here," said Daksh.

"Is... is there anybody else living with us here?" asked Rishi. Rutuja looked around and then glanced at Indra.

Indra looked at Dai Ma and nodded his head.

Dai Ma closed her eyes and clapped thrice.

"Ouch!" said Rishi and got up dusting his jeans. Rutuja followed.

"What!?" Daksh mouthed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys,

Hope y'all doing good.

Are you enjoying the story? Who has been your favorite character so far?